The Cookson Chronicles - His actions as UCI president thus far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's quite clear that most of us still love and follow pro cycling even though we know that some of the heroes of yesteryear had feet of clay and even though we know that doping is still going on.
@resal , we accept that fact and still appreciate racing, its anomalies and the level of endeavour going into it. We're not blind or stupid but only too aware of the hypocrisy and contradictions.
The really, really baffling thing is why someone, as clearly disenchanted and bitter about it all as you seem to be, still maintains any interest.

oldroadman

Veteran
Those who stayed clean probably suffered for it, but stayed healthy. There always were two speeds, and at one time over half were in the "fast" section. But the standards of the time were very different, and to try and judge that period by today's standards is baffling. For instance, in a peloton from the 60's, let's say, probably over half were using something like amphets, BUT the best riders were still winning. Not the best fuelled. This does not make it morally right by today's standards, it's simply how it was. Cycling was not unique, without controls at today's levels, all sports were affected. Distance runners were even messing about with blood transfusions even then. What we have today is a different situation, the message is not "don't get caught", it's "don't do it". Whilst there will always be a degree of temptation and some will succumb, they have a far greater chance of being caught and banned. When the four year ban comes in it effectively means career over for anyone over 28, and career stunted for anyone younger. We should look back and understand the environment of the past eras, realise that applying today's standards was not an option, and move on. If anyone wants to suggest that Merckx should be disqualified from his wins, then who moves up, were they "clean", or even tested, or do we simply expunge everything up until a certain date and pretend it all never happened? To come back to the initial subject, I think Mr Cookson knew what he was likely to find from the denier Hein and his anointed successor's time in office, and has started what will be at least a three year, if not more, project, to lift the sport's image. Right now it appears that cycling carries out more testing than any other sport, and if you do that you should catch more of the "sinners". better to be open and do that, than brush things under the carpet as the previous regime wanted to do, and which continues outside cycling. Want to see really "interesting" approaches packed with self interest and money driven ways of running a sport - try FIFA!

resal

Veteran
So you really don't do complexity? You can't hold two contradictory ideas in your head at once and appreciate the truth to both of them?

I don't approve of doping in sport, the whole stupid, destructive circus that produces it, and the lives it destroys, but I can appreciate the style, talent and sacrifices of sportspeople, yes, even those who dope.

And Pantani was an amazing talent and would have been with or without the EPO - you've read Matt Rendel's book at the very least, I would hope.

There is nothing to be complex about. Which rules are to be obeyed and which rules are to be ignored - provided you can do it with style ?

How about a non-stylish rider - do they get more rules because we don't like looking at them ? How about colour of skin, is that a factor or to suggest so suddenly brings you all over goosey !

The position presented is entirely one to try to ignore reality. Matt Rendel - don't make me laugh - a guy making money pedaling a myth to those who can't face the reality of their conflict.

And oldroadman - of course times have changed and certainly a blind eye was turned to Merckx. But can't you see that the message is so simple - he is an example of cheats win - just don't get caught. Cookson should have politely shaken his hand and moved away as soon as possible, not done his man-crush selfie.

thom

____
There is nothing to be complex about. Which rules are to be obeyed and which rules are to be ignored - provided you can do it with style ?

How about a non-stylish rider - do they get more rules because we don't like looking at them ? How about colour of skin, is that a factor or to suggest so suddenly brings you all over goosey !

The position presented is entirely one to try to ignore reality. Matt Rendel - don't make me laugh - a guy making money pedaling a myth to those who can't face the reality of their conflict.

And oldroadman - of course times have changed and certainly a blind eye was turned to Merckx. But can't you see that the message is so simple - he is an example of cheats win - just don't get caught. Cookson should have politely shaken his hand and moved away as soon as possible, not done his man-crush selfie.
Wake up @resal, take your head out of your arse - there's more going on in cycling than this. Whatever kind of a point you have, it isn't nearly as strong as you're trying to make out. I find there's a dichotomy in FM's position on Pantani too (he acknowledges that himself). I think he's a bit overly enamoured with that myth, but ffs, put yourself and us out of your misery and move on. One selfie doesn't condemn a man in the absolutist terms your putting on this. Nobody will legislate based upon this. It doesn't represent a policy position and you'd be a cretin to think you could achieve anything worthwhile in cycling without making mistakes along the way.

Please excuse us from this tedium !

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
How about colour of skin, is that a factor or to suggest so suddenly brings you all over goosey

Actually, if you take a look around this forum, you'll notice I've been quite interested in what's going on in African and Asian cycling and hoping that riders from both continents get greater representation in the pro-peloton... but what exactly is your implication here?

You know, I've defended you in the past when I thought you had a serious point, however obnoxious you were being, but frankly, you're just coming across as narrow-minded and extremely rude, and you can't expect people to engage with you on that basis.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Oh, I don't know, it seems to be working :laugh:

That message was a 'bye bye'...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Be careful with that comment, as I'm sure you know, unilateral EPO use by no means a level playing field, as both Millar and Hamilton explain in their biogs.

That's not to say, don't be a fan of Pantani, he was unique of his time. How 'amazing' without the juice? We will never know.

Well, we do because we know pretty much exactly when he started taking it. And he was still amazing before that.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I too thought that Pantani was doping from an early age but I might be confusing him with Ricco.
I'd check the book but, to be honest, I found it pretty dry and uninteresting and can't face going back to it to check:thumbsup:

I too thought that Pantani was doping from an early age but I might be confusing him with Ricco.
I'd check the book but, to be honest, I found it pretty dry and uninteresting and can't face going back to it to check:thumbsup:

I'll save you the bother - he was doping as an amateur, so all his results were thanks to drugs.

resal

Veteran
Wake up @resal, take your head out of your arse - there's more going on in cycling than this. Whatever kind of a point you have, it isn't nearly as strong as you're trying to make out. I find there's a dichotomy in FM's position on Pantani too (he acknowledges that himself). I think he's a bit overly enamoured with that myth, but ffs, put yourself and us out of your misery and move on. One selfie doesn't condemn a man in the absolutist terms your putting on this. Nobody will legislate based upon this. It doesn't represent a policy position and you'd be a cretin to think you could achieve anything worthwhile in cycling without making mistakes along the way.

Please excuse us from this tedium !
Cookson is not Joe Public. Stop modelling your own actions on him. He is paid big bucks to lead our sport. It is deep in the sh** because it can never break the cycle of past dopers managing teams and being held up as heroes.

With all those perks comes responsibility. Responsibility to set aside his personal preferences and tastes and act in the good of those he represents. He wants to run a show telling the youngsters how they should behave, well don't put a known cheat in front of them who has made a fortune and livilihood out of doing so. And if it does happen, by error, rise above it all. Cookson didn't and that is what I am criticizing him for.

Shooting at the Eddy idol, I know I am on the square outside the Vatican and selling de revolutionibus orbium coelestium.

Top Bottom