The cult of 'ME'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is no need for a selfie in Walmart as you have the extremely worrying and not always safe for work People of Walmart
There is an unwanted space in the URL - it should be THIS.

Davos87

Guru
Selfie sticks = Wands of Narcissus.
I was on holiday in Sorrento 18months ago. Me and the wife booked on a tour of the Amalfi Coast arguably one of the most stunning coastlines on earth.
We were on a small but very luxurious Merc mini bus with comfortable seats and panoramic windows and a superb local tour guide. The couple opposite us spent 75% of their time ogling Facebook and txting on mobiles.
Unbelievable!!!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That's why I don't feature on many of the photos that I download from my camera after my forum rides ... The pictures are usually some combination of the scenery, the bikes, and the other people riding them! (If other people take pictures of me with their cameras, that is up to them.)

That's like me, I don't photograph myself very often (unless it is for a thread on here, in which case I did at one point, but even then it wasn't much.... And it was bit of a joke anyway).

Me on holidays...

Friend: do you want to be in the picture, I'll take a picture of you
Me: no thanks
Friend: go on
Me: no - I know I was here, I don't need a photo of me in front of the scenery to remind me!

I never want a picture of myself in places, it just doesn't interest me - If you ask if I want my picture taken, the chances are I will say 'No'.

Half of my Parent's holiday pictures are of them in places, so yes, I share the pain already expressed by others.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I was in Jamie's Italian in Gunwark Quays, Pompey today (so shoot me) and a line of young ladies came in, each with their mobiles planted in front of their faces. It was like the Human Centipede, except with iPhones, not bums.

snorri

Legendary Member
Err what does that do .... .?
It's a sign approx. half metre diameter painted on road or pavement. The selfie taker stands on the sign and shuffles around until until his/her eye alights on some local feature, usually a church or building of architectural interest. He/she then turns his back on the feature and takes a selfie!
I saw several of these in a German town last month and have been longing for a thread like this to offer me the opportunity to tell everyone all about it:biggrin:.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It's a sign approx. half metre diameter painted on road or pavement. The selfie taker stands on the sign and shuffles around until until his/her eye alights on some local feature, usually a church or building of architectural interest. He/she then turns his back on the feature and takes a selfie!
I saw several of these in a German town last month and have been longing for a thread like this to offer me the opportunity to tell everyone all about it:biggrin:.

I would train a dog to take a sh*t on each of these signs!! :laugh:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Glad it's not.just me being a miserable get.:laugh:
Is it a kind of Big Brother mentality I wonder, craving recognition, a kind of mini stardom.?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I wish I had taken more photos of my wife and son when they were younger. I have lots of photos of places but no real memories, you can never get those times back

If it is all done in moderation and is within reason, then that is ok, but a lot of people just go overboard with it

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I wish I had taken more photos of my wife and son when they were younger. I have lots of photos of places but no real memories, you can never get those times back
And that's quite right. It's quite normal to want family,occasionally yourself in photos...I'm so glad my late dad did when he was in his 20s/30s in Aden..photos of him with sharks and huge ray fish. ..one day it will be all you have visually of those you love dearly.
But video of yourself ordering a drink in a bar..:wacko:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
as I get older, I sometimes wish I had more photos, e.g I spent a week in New york about 15 years ago and have no photos which is something I'd have liked to show the kids and wish I had more of me and me woman when we were in a late 20's, early 30's
but
I wish I just had more photos, our house burned down when I was 5 or 6 destroying all our photos, then being very poor, we couldn't afford a camera so very few photos of my teenage years,
memories are fine but some evidence of those memories would be nice.....

And alternatively, there are going to be a LOT of people in the future who will wish they had less pictures of themselves and more of where they had been!!

I tend to be one who takes pictures of places and not people, I know this and if I ever have kids or whatever, I would include them in pictures, yes, but you can have too much of the one thing, which is why it should all be in moderation - If you are sensible about it then you will be ok.

Sorry to hear of your house fire by the way, it must be frustrating not having any pictures of things or people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom