The cult of 'ME'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
May I take this opportunity to ask that if you have paper prints of photographs, spend a few minutes writing on the back a few details, date, place, names of featured people-not just dad or mam. It is a source of great frustration to us in the museum business to have a box of interesting photographs that would be far more useful if we knew more about the contents. Your descendants would be far more interested to know that it is e.g. "Drago their great-grandfather, with his bike, on a tour of Camden" rather than "that bloke in lycra, didn't they dress funny." Remember, this years holiday snaps are next century's historical record.

May I take this opportunity to ask that if you have paper prints of photographs, spend a few minutes writing on the back a few details, date, place, names of featured people-not just dad or mam.
Before my husband and I went off on our aborted world tour, I sat and went through all of my paper photos, labelling every last one of them (of the ones that I kept). It was prompted by my brother asking me for some photos of our Grannie who had died earlier that month and one of my pictures of her being used on the memorial thingy that was done up for everyone.
It took me more than 2 weeks (9-5, 5 days a week, and I kid not) to actually go through each photo and write on them what they were and that wasn't through not knowing what each and every photo was.
It doesn't sadly take a few minutes to do unless you only have 1 picture to do (I'm not saying it isn't useful, but it takes a lot of time).

snorri

Legendary Member
May I take this opportunity to ask that if you have paper prints of photographs, spend a few minutes writing on the back a few details, date, place, names .
.....and further to that, make sure your online laptop password is written in to your Will, otherwise all your old pics will have become inaccessible for ever to all but the most enthusiastic computer hacker^_^.
Said partly in jest, but the opportunities of looking through a musty box of prints when clearing out the effects after the passing of an elderly relative are rapidly diminishing.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I like logging in to Facebook and seeing my friends' holiday / day out snaps, including the selfies. My only gripe is with the lack of simple editing and cropping.

Mind you, I am the antisocial git currently sitting in a coffee shop with my headphones on, using my smartphone to read and post on a forum...

Globalti

Legendary Member
This self-obesssion disgusts me to be honest; I have NEVER taken a selfie and wouldn't dream of doing it; it's conceited and vain and I was brought up to believe that conceit was a bad habit, as bad as deceit. To go further and publish one's own emotional incontinence is an even bigger conceit.

Is talking twaddle on an internet forum almost as bad? I have always thought of web fora as virtual pubs.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I like logging in to Facebook and seeing my friends' holiday / day out snaps, including the selfies. My only gripe is with the lack of simple editing and cropping.

Mind you, I am the antisocial git currently sitting in a coffee shop with my headphones on, using my smartphone to read and post on a forum...
I love it when my friends post photos on Facebook, it would be boring if everyone was of them, but I do like seeing ones with them in it. And sometimes I end up asking where they are as they haven't said. When people used to get out their holiday photos you had to sit through it whether you were interested or not, now you can decide how long you look at each photo. I've one friend who is in USA on holiday at the moment and I'm enjoying the one daily photo he posts to sum up each day.

I've started putting more old photos up on Facebook and only viewable by my immediate family, it means that they can access them easily and that it crops up in the "Memories of the Day" or what ever it is called, and is a nice reminder of forgotten events.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Midday, sitting on a seat in Bowness minding my own business, someone sits next to me, and I mean uncomfortably close to me, and produces a selfie stick, then pushes his head as close to mine as he can!:cursing::cursing: If he had only asked first, I thought his countrymen had a reputation for good manners! Sodit, I'm getting my hair cut and dyed.

stephec

Legendary Member
Midday, sitting on a seat in Bowness minding my own business, someone sits next to me, and I mean uncomfortably close to me, and produces a selfie stick, then pushes his head as close to mine as he can!:cursing::cursing: If he had only asked first, I thought his countrymen had a reputation for good manners! Sodit, I'm getting my hair cut and dyed.

I bet the air was blue? :biggrin:

TVC

I tend to laugh at people who always put themselves at the centre of pictures (no names @User14044 ). Best one was at the Blue Lagoon in Iceland, which is a fantastic experience. There was a Japanese bus load in, and one young girl spent her entire time in her little bikini, big hat and big sunglasses taking fish face selfies (don't get me started on the two finger victory sign). She paraded round making sure everyone saw her, and ensured she had half an internets worth of photos but never actuallly got in the water.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
.....and further to that, make sure your online laptop password is written in to your Will, otherwise all your old pics will have become inaccessible for ever to all but the most enthusiastic computer hacker^_^.
Said partly in jest, but the opportunities of looking through a musty box of prints when clearing out the effects after the passing of an elderly relative are rapidly diminishing.
Will there be laptops to have a password for next century? Sadly even tech I used at uni is obsolete now, (Zip disk anyone?) Which is why we have a policy of printing important images onto museum grade paper and storing them properly.

Back in 1988, long before mobil phones/selfies existed, I was travelling around Canada with a mate in a rent-a-wreck car.

We were driving in BC and one day we were always about five minutes in front of a tourist bus full of Japanese tourists at every 'tourist stop.'

They all took the same photos, in the same groups and weren't interested in the actual scenery or landscape, just the composition of said photographs. Me and my mate (an Aussie) were pretty annoyed as their presence ruined the tranquillity at every location.

We got to Mirror Lake (named obviously due to it's perfect reflection in the water), so we decided to chuck some stones into the lake and five minutes they rolled up just as we were leaving. They probably didn't even notice the ripples.

Top Bottom