The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
North of the border, my beloved Killie are facing a playoff place for relegation from the SPL. Should we finish the season there, I am not confident our hapless manager could inspire us to victory against Dundee, Falkirk or Hamilton. It would be particularly painful to lose to Falkirk should they finish runners up in the championship: their manager, Gary 'Three Lungs' Holt is a lifetime Killie fan, with the tattoo to prove it.

On paper we are a decent with the most prolific Scottish striker of all time, Boyd, and one of the most creative midfielders around in Eremenko. We've quality young lads too who are getting regular call ups to the national side at their age level.

Quite why Alan 'Used to be magic, now is tragic' Johnston can't generate a winning formula with such talent available is mystifying. He seems unable to inspire the team and has no backup plan when the normal tactic of 'batter it up to Boyd who might manage to hold and pass, should a player make a run for him' inevitably fail.

Dark times indeed for Scotland's oldest professional club.

Should never have lost Jim Jefferies. His time at Bradford was high comedy, players on 40k a week but playing with Alan Combe and Gary Locke! The poor guy had it all on to pick a team, his team, not the chairman's. Him and Billy brown are well thought of down here.

FFJ

Parking the bus(es) should be a tactic of a mid table/lower placed team, not one in the champs semi-final. Mourinho for West Ham?

MarkF

Guru
[QUOTE 3050282, member: 30090"]Well among the less ignorant of us who have read up on Heysel and the history and circumstances surrounding that game I think a particularly less favourably view is to be had for the game in general.

About how an organsation were told that a particular ground was a dump, but did not listen, was told about how 'neutral' tickets were being touted to Juve fans which could cause crowd issues, but did not listen, were told that perhaps a chicken wire fence was not adequate protection to hold one section of fans away from the other...but surprise surprise, did not listen.

The ground was in such a crumbling state that you could take the terrace steps apart with your feet creating an endless supply of missiles. Hence why the Belgium FA and the Gendarme were held accountable later on. Something had to give that night and it just so happened to be the Liverpool fans, you really think that a club side who had won everything (including the European cup the previous year) were looking for a scrap?[/QUOTE]

So it was everybody's fault but the perpetrators?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I was hoping that Liverpool would win but to whinge abut opposition tactics is a bit lame. To be champions you have to deal with all sorts of strategies.
I had to laugh at Rogers' comment that only one team came to win today - presumably he meant the 2 nil winners?

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 3050282, member: 30090"]Well among the less ignorant of us who have read up on Heysel and the history and circumstances surrounding that game I think a particularly less favourably view is to be had for the game in general.

About how an organsation were told that a particular ground was a dump, but did not listen, was told about how 'neutral' tickets were being touted to Juve fans which could cause crowd issues, but did not listen, were told that perhaps a chicken wire fence was not adequate protection to hold one section of fans away from the other...but surprise surprise, did not listen.

The ground was in such a crumbling state that you could take the terrace steps apart with your feet creating an endless supply of missiles. Hence why the Belgium FA and the Gendarme were held accountable later on. Something had to give that night and it just so happened to be the Liverpool fans, you really think that a club side who had won everything (including the European cup the previous year) were looking for a scrap?[/QUOTE]

Whilst all this is true, 'extenuating circumstances' is far from a robust defence for the actions of those fans who were quite clearly 'looking for a scrap'.

Should never have lost Jim Jefferies. His time at Bradford was high comedy, players on 40k a week but playing with Alan Combe and Gary Locke! The poor guy had it all on to pick a team, his team, not the chairman's. Him and Billy brown are well thought of down here.

Jefferies early work at Killie was excellent. Towards the end of his tenure he seemed totally disillusioned and we played some archaic football.

We got Jimmy Tangoface as a replacement, which was worse but saved us. Mixu was a revelation after that!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I have absolutely zero interest in Liverpool, other than being if anything vaguely negative, on account of Scousers' as far as I can see utterly unfounded conviction that they have some special talent for humour, but even I suffered a pang at Gerrard's slip. Be awful if (he felt that) it 'cost them the title'.

MarkF

Guru
I think the media are jumping the gun at the mo', Everton have only lost 2 at home all season.

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 3051341, member: 30090"]You stating this as a fact?[/QUOTE]

Liverpool fans attacked others in the neutral zone of the stadium, causing the crush that killed people.

You can argue the toss about mitigating circumstances and poor policing all you want. It's a reprehensible stain on the clubs history that is conveniently rarely mentioned.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I have absolutely zero interest in Liverpool, other than being if anything vaguely negative, on account of Scousers' as far as I can see utterly unfounded conviction that they have some special talent for humour, but even I suffered a pang at Gerrard's slip. Be awful if (he felt that) it 'cost them the title'.
well he did look distraught. Then again, why was he at the back looking for the ball? Where was Skirtl? Where was Sakho? I just wonder if Chelsea's spoiling tactics hadn't got under his skin a little, and whether or not Liverpool would have been better advised not to push their back line up quite so high.

If this mistake gives the title to Manchester City it will be a great shame - Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge have been quite extraordinary this year and it would be nice to see that rewarded.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I think the media are jumping the gun at the mo', Everton have only lost 2 at home all season.
The last time City won at Goodison was in 2009, we always outplay them at home, and usually do okay against them away. I fully expect Everton to beat City on Saturday, we have beaten Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd at home this season and Liverpool got a late equaliser against us. We have been alternately putting in a great performance followed by a dire one over the past couple of weeks and the irony of us handing Norway's darlings the title is typical of how the cookie crumbles for us.

I know a few Evertonians who would happily see us lose on Saturday, not a single kopite (or journalist it appears) wants us to not win. Personally, I will be cheeringg my team on with my normal passion, irrespective of the fallout elsewhere.

cd365

Guru
Liverpool fans attacked others in the neutral zone of the stadium, causing the crush that killed people..

You do know the neutral zone wasn't very wide, the fans were separated by wire a few yards apard and thinly policed. The Juve fans had done their own attacking before the crush plus thrown missiles etc.

Jacques Georges, the Uefa president at the time, and Hans Bangerter, his general secretary, were threatened with imprisonment but eventually given conditional discharges. Albert Roosens, the former secretary-general of the Belgian Football Union (BFU), was given a six-month suspended prison sentence for “regrettable negligence” with regard to ticketing arrangements. So was gendarme captain Johan Mahieu, who was in charge of the policing the stands at Heysel.

What happened was a tragedy but to just blame Liverpool fans is wrong. The Italian fans were well known for football violence themselves and if you look at what had happened to the Liverpool fans in Rome 12 months previously it was obvious that better policing and ticketing was required.

You need to read up on it a bit more and not just listen to terrace chanting.

Top Bottom