The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Nothings changed, thats the point, Man City and PSG have just joined those clubs at the top. Level competition? Thats not level competition.

A salary cap would be nice but It wont happen.

It has changed, any club can be a rich club today and the established ones don't like it, why can't Man City & PSG enjoy some time in the sun? Nothing has changed regarding money, it does and always has bought success. Bournemouth are buying it, Rotherham are buying it, lots of lower league clubs are complying with the income/expenditure rule but splashing cash from benefactors. Bradford have gates of 14k in L1 but can't attract players (pay wages) that clubs of 4/5k gates can..............it's not "fair" in any league. .

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
It has changed, any club can be a rich club today and the established ones don't like it, why can't Man City & PSG enjoy some time in the sun? Nothing has changed regarding money, it does and always has bought success. Bournemouth are buying it, Rotherham are buying it, lots of lower league clubs are complying with the income/expenditure rule but splashing cash from benefactors. Bradford have gates of 14k in L1 but can't attract players (pay wages) that clubs of 4/5k gates can..............it's not "fair" in any league. .
I wrote a few replies to your post but sadly I gave up, whats the point? I guess I'm just a romantic who does want it 'fair' and wants it to be possible for a club to make it to the top without have a sheik or oil baron in charge.

MarkF

Guru
I wrote a few replies to your post but sadly I gave up, whats the point? I guess I'm just a romantic who does want it 'fair' and wants it to be possible for a club to make it to the top without have a sheik or oil baron in charge.

So would I. I'd love a draft system and the fluid movement of success/clubs but it's not going to happen. People focus on Man City but it's happening right the way down the pyramid, I see the Leicester manager is accepting plenty of slaps on the back on his promotion "achievement"............... whilst blitzing through £30-40m in losses!

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO

That's the thing though, football has never been a particularly 'fair' game, particularly at the highest level.

Though as @MarkF it happens throughout the leagues. One particular example that springs to mind was the tragedy of Gretna FC. Bankrolled through the leagues by a wealthy businessman who got sick and died. His kids didn't want to spunk any more of their inheritance and pulled the plug. Gretna are no more.

Have a look at the top leagues in Europe and you'll see that they've been won and dominated by two or three sides since they existed, with the occasional blip when another side interrupts the party.

France - 5: Marseille, St. Etienne, Nantes, Monaco, Lyon (though St. Etienne, Nantes and Monaco have been out of the picture for some time)
England - 3: Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal
Spain - 2: Real, Barcelona
Germany - 1: Bayern (who are streets ahead of Nuremburg, Dortmund and Schalke)
Italy - 1: Juventus (by miles ahead of Milan and Inter)

I suppose my point is that money has always created a division in football, it's just more obvious now.

I fully agree with your sentiments though.

MarkF

Guru
The Toon still miss Kevin Keagan's gung-ho attacking football so I think Moyes would be a mistake.

Yes, not a good match.

It's shame that what appears to be a decent man is now figure of fun. He'd be better off doing what McClaren did and re-building his reputation away from the UK's media.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Guess which club? :whistle:

NUFC poster.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The best bit about Ashley buying the club is he's been forced to keep spending his money to avoid looking like a complete idiot.... someone should've had a quiet word, he could have saved a lot of money.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Isn't it heartening to see that you can still manage to spend absolutely shitloads of wonga and end up crap. Yes, QPR, we're looking at you.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
So would I. I'd love a draft system and the fluid movement of success/clubs but it's not going to happen. People focus on Man City but it's happening right the way down the pyramid, I see the Leicester manager is accepting plenty of slaps on the back on his promotion "achievement"............... whilst blitzing through £30-40m in losses!
It is a gamble some clubs owners are prepared to make to make it in to the $ky Premier league, and the fruits that brings

Having been through administration more than once I am glad we appear to have landed some sensible owners at Palace. Although I have a feeling that their spending on player ambitions might make their relationship with Tony Pulis difficult once they start talking about strengthening the playing staff in the summer.

I didn't think I would enjoy the Premiership but once you are in it I have to admit you tend to want to stay in it, the extended media coverage the bigger crowds and the enormous revenue all make it too irresistible.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I think that's part of it recently, but they were effectively safe by Christmas and lost their best player in January. 10 goals scored this year says it all really.
4 of those goals were against Hull, when Pardew headbutted the player. Which makes the whole thing even more odd, why did he do such a stupid thing when his team were winning?
I used to feel sorry for Pardew, but he lost a lot of support when he did that.

MarkF

Guru
I didn't think I would enjoy the Premiership but once you are in it I have to admit you tend to want to stay in it, the extended media coverage the bigger crowds and the enormous revenue all make it too irresistible.

I enjoyed Bradford's first season just for the novelty, the 2nd was horrible, I think back and laugh, what on earth were Bradford doing employing Jorge Cadete, Benito Carbone, Dan Petrescu and Stan Collymore? We slid out of the PL with the chairman picking the team and continued to slide to 90th in the football league, via 2 administrations and the loss of our stadium.^_^ Was the PL worth it? Of course not.

The Championship is as high as I'd want City to reach now, but Palace are different, they have huge potential with their location. A new stadium would see Palace move up another level.

Top Bottom