The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"Was that goal partly to do with the conditions?"

Why does Steve Claridge not say "yes, you stupid nobber, we play football in weather, and it does play a part..and players sometimes do not play as well as you want..and that is why people love football - but your "precise" view is why many are turning away from it."

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
So far so good, 1-0 up and we have a good record against Swansea (Talk about tempting fate).

I hope we beat them because a branch of the family who hate me live in Swansea and will probably be there.
When I watched MOTD I'm sure Swansea had a mummy playing for them, or was it just someone with full leg length socks to go with the all white kit?

Cracking goal from Carroll, hoping he wouldn't be fit for the replay on Tuesday, quite a handful and our defence is poor at dealing with balls into the box, which is why Collins scored last week.

Last edited:

Roadhump

I'm about done with Killie so I'm holding open auditions for a new side to support. Current front runners are Norwich and Colchester, but I'm open to any suggestions from the football fans of the CC Collective.

My loyalties may well have returned tomorrow, but I'm not sure. We have been so shite for so long I'm not sure I can bear it any more. Poking myself in the eye with a fork would be preferable to watching the efforts we put out these days.
I can't understand how anyone can change their colours, but I know a few people who have given up on the game because of the money aspect, e.g. FC Utd of Manchester, I know a bloke who was a Man Utd season ticket holder who gave it up and now follows Southport home and away and says it is the best time he has ever had following football. If I gave up on top flight footy, so perhaps choose a local non league club to support.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I can't understand how anyone can change their colours, but I know a few people who have given up on the game because of the money aspect, e.g. FC Utd of Manchester, I know a bloke who was a Man Utd season ticket holder who gave it up and now follows Southport home and away and says it is the best time he has ever had following football. If I gave up on top flight footy, so perhaps choose a local non league club to support.

I thought your team was in your DNA or your not a 'proper' supporter - at least that's the impression I get from fans on football forums who look down on anyone who hasn't been a supporter for a squillion years.

Drives me mad all this 'I'm a 3rd generation supporter' or 'I was there in 1969 when so & so scored the winner' or 'been supporting the club since the moment of conception'. :angel:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

That's how i ended up following my local non league side. Well they were non league at the time but now they play in the 4th division of English football. I watched Blackburn Rovers for 20 odd years always wishing they'd make the old first division and in the 1980's they nearly made it on several occasions then Jack Walker's money ensured they eventually made the top flight. The first years were a novelty after watching 2nd and 3rd division football in a rickety old ground but the novelty wore off when the ticket prices tripled and the players bought weren't the same have a pint with the fans after the match type. I stopped watching Blackburn the season after they won the Premiership, the bubble had burst,the new plastic ground and the new supporters weren't to my liking so i stopped watching football all together. I went back there a few times the other year but all those i stood with on the old Riverside terrace had moved elsewhere. Top flight football isn't it's all cracked up to be...well it wasn't for me anyway!
One bloke i knew from my Blackburn days now watches Ramsbottom Utd. Not bad but the name puts me off!!:laugh:

Last edited:
I stopped going when we were promoted to the PL, partly as guy I was going with had started a degree and couldn't afford it, partly as my job would have meant me missing lots of games as well. BTW kick off should be at 3:00pm on Saturdays, as football god intended, non of this late Sunday afternoon , Monday and whenever else nonsense. Less games for the inflated ticket price over Championship one too.
There are a few times I've wished I was there, but mostly I'm not too bothered.

One thing I don't really get is choosing your club. It chooses you, it calls to you. Be it from that it is your local club, your home town club (if you've moved away), some sort of family tie. I've seen people wearing 'half and half' scarves. Half Hull, half Man Utd (or whoever) :wacko: Now that is something I really don't understand, there seems to be a cadre of 'glory' supporters turning up not to watch their local team, but to watch the opposition. In a way I like what Hull owners have done with that, make them pay, REALLY pay to watch the 'big' clubs when they visit. Man City was £50, Crystal Palace £16.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
5WKbClV.png

AndyRM

XOXO

Neither can I, which is why I will continue the mostly joyless task of supporting Kilmarnock. Despite my disappointment at our current situation, I cannot imagine giving my allegiance to another side. Emotional ties in football are a weird thing, which I think makes it better. If we were all logical about it, everyone would support the best side all the time, which would be bloody awful.

Roadhump

Neither can I, which is why I will continue the mostly joyless task of supporting Kilmarnock. Despite my disappointment at our current situation, I cannot imagine giving my allegiance to another side. Emotional ties in football are a weird thing, which I think makes it better. If we were all logical about it, everyone would support the best side all the time, which would be bloody awful.

As the old saying goes, if you don't go out in the rain, you can't appreciate the sunshine. Problem is for many clubs it rains most of the time, but those occasional sunny days make it all worth it. Actually, while I have often said that and complained about Johnny come lately fans of the moneyed elite just wanting sunshine all the time, there is another way of looking at it. I used to work with a Tranmere Rovers fan who told me that during their run of great cup results about 15 years ago, he had as much enjoyment from watching them as any Liverpool fan did during their heyday in the 70s and 80s. They beat Leeds, Bolton and Everton, and a few other big teams, in some memorable games and he equated each one as relatively significant and enjoyable to them as when the LFC won the European Cup or Man Utd won their first Prem title. I suppose it's the same when teams get promoted from the Conference into League 2, or from the Championship into the Prem; what an achievement that will be if Bournemouth pull it off this year. Those moments may not figure large in the minds of most but for those fans I am sure they will feel the same exlosion of feeling fantastic as your average City fan did when Aguero netted in the last minute v QPR in 2012.

Whereas one of the jibes the reds aim at us blues is that we haven't won a trophy for nearly 20 years, very few teams have; in fact most teams have never won a major trophy so following their logic we would all follow the 3 or 4 clubs who now have the finance to buy success, with a steady shift now to Man City....end of rant 1!

One thing I don't really get is choosing your club. It chooses you, it calls to you. Be it from that it is your local club, your home town club (if you've moved away), some sort of family tie. I've seen people wearing 'half and half' scarves. Half Hull, half Man Utd (or whoever) :wacko: Now that is something I really don't understand, there seems to be a cadre of 'glory' supporters turning up not to watch their local team...........

I cannot understand anyone who jumps on the glory bandwagon to follow the elite (media darling) clubs. As a bitter blue (Evertonian) I don't have a problem with locally born reds or the LFC supporting children of locally born reds who might have left Merseyside for various reasons, but walk round Liverpool City Centre on the evening before, the morning before or the few hours after a game at the tin mine and it is crawling with Cornish, Irish, Dutch, Norwegian, home counties reds. It is ironic that the tourists stand out a mile, they are the ones with the red shirts and scarves....end of rant 2!

One of my daughters former teachers is an avid LFC fan. Travels back from Hull for every home game, something I can't but admire.

or from the Championship into the Prem
104 years wait. Thats generations of fans that never saw Hull play in the top division. I reckon Dean Windass sums up how Hull felt at the end of that day. He wasn't the only one a blubbing like a girl by any means.
9HullSorrowR_650x636.jpg

The last promotion was good, but there will never be a day like that again. I feel privileged it happened in my lifetime, even if I couldn't make it to the match. Stupid job.

Top Bottom