The Fridays tour - Normandy 15th-22nd June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Can I add checking out wifi opportunities to the list?
Or we could club together and tether to a PAYG broadband SIM.
Alternatively, stop worrying about it, just use whatever deal your mobile provider gives you to check your emails once a day and leave everything else till you get home. I'm on O2. Their deal is up to 25 MB of data a day for £2. 28p a minute to make calls, 7p to receive them, texts 8p to send & free to receive. Whichever network you're on they'll do something similar. You don't need anything else.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
2436395 said:
And the principle of own consumption.
We are talking about Mr Collins. A bootful of liquor for his own consumption might be entirely reasonable.

StuartG

slower but further
Alternatively, stop worrying about it [wifi] ... you don't need anything else.
Nope - contractual commitments require me to be able to emergency heavy lifting on the net needing rather more than a mobile phone. If I don't have a contingency connection I can't come. Simples. That's the cost of running a one man internet business.

It should be resolvable. I don't normally have a problem abroad but then I'm in charge of where I'm going. In this case I need some help from those who may know or check local setups in advance.

Sorry this is serious for me.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Nope - contractual commitments require me to be able to emergency heavy lifting on the net needing rather more than a mobile phone. If I don't have a contingency connection I can't come. Simples. That's the cost of running a one man internet business.

It should be resolvable. I don't normally have a problem abroad but then I'm in charge of where I'm going. In this case I need some help from those who may know or check local setups in advance.

Sorry this is serious for me.
I didn't know that…entirely understandable.
Some good stuff here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-data-roaming

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Oh well, Plan A was fun while it lasted. I don't need so much Belgian beer that I'll spend £300+ for the opportunity. Besides the prices at www.thebeermerchant.co.uk are not so bad. So it's Plan B.2; me and the black bike only, Pompey - Cherbourg retrun going out on the Friday and coming back on the Monday. Gets me out of a meeting in Madrid I didn't want to attend anyway so that's a bonus.

Next task, find a billet for the Friday night and the Saturday/Sunday nights.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Flip. Thanks to the world's worst work interweb connection, accountability for which stops with me so I may wander down to IT in a bit and slap some heads and flick some ears, that was a chore. Rooms booked in the Cherbourg ibis budget. Not the ordinary ibis but the ibis budget mind. 48€

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One thing I've found in my researches which could be interesting is this http://frenchconnection.fr/01_home.aspx THey'll rent you a 3G wifi hotspot + PAYG SIM. Wouldn't allow for "heavy lifting" I don't think but would provide a wifi for a number of people to use to do a bit of browsing etc. I have one (UK only) in my cupboard as an emergency/travel broadband backup & it's v useful. I haven't used these people so I don't know if they're any good/competitive but I just thought I'd point them out to you.

StuartG

slower but further
One thing I've found in my researches which could be interesting is this http://frenchconnection.fr/01_home.aspx THey'll rent you a 3G wifi hotspot + PAYG SIM.
Thats a real find DT. Given I've got a hotspot I really only need the SIM. I think I will first ask Del to check with the Châteaux owners. They must have been asked for this service before and they are missing a trick if they don't have a profitable answer.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
We can add wi-fi requests to the duties of the multi-lingual Mice. I am unsure if my French stretches to avez vous un wye fye ici monsieur?
Gordon P and I already have more than enough to do what with our responsibilities to check out
A) bars,
B) restaurants,
C) beers,
D) wines,
E) special areas of the garden in which tour members can doze in the sun, and
F) inspecting the back of our eyelids in position E (above) after actions A-D (again, see above) inclusive.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
We can add wi-fi requests to the duties of the multi-lingual Mice. I am unsure if my French stretches to avez vous un wye fye ici monsieur?
Gordon P and I already have more than enough to do what with our responsibilities to check out
A) bars,
B) restaurants,
C) beers,
D) wines,
E) special areas of the garden in which tour members can doze in the sun, and
F) inspecting the back of our eyelids in position E (above) after actions A-D (again, see above) inclusive.

The rest of us can only give thanks for your selfless devotion to your duties!

Top Bottom