The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
My century for May was planned for Saturday, but Thursday afternoon was looking better than forecast, I had the opportunity, felt good, so off I went. The route on the Garmin was to Market Drayton with a small loop at the end then an exact return. However the loop was never completed due to a freshly surfaced road with what seemed like several inches of loose chippings on soft tar. I could just about keep the bike upright but progress was impossible. The Allez was being pebble-dashed and the drive kept jamming. I aborted after 30 yards and took another route. Fortunately he jockey wheels appear unscathed.

A few pics from the ride:

secret_bunker.jpg

:secret:

church.jpg

Interesting looking arch to the right of the church. Whilst taking this pic a small group of club cyclists passed by on a social ride, I caught them up and and had a pleasant natter for the next 5-10 miles :smile:

Conditions were perfect, I expected to be racing the rain clouds home but it wasn't even close :smile:

Best ride this year........so far.

111 brutal miles logged yesterday. :wahhey::surrender::cry:

Details to follow.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Good Luck on the sportive.

Flat sounds good ,I have relatives in Lincolnshire and will try to combine a visit with a ride around there later in the summer. I took my folder up once or twice but usually only do 20 milers on it.
IMG00131-20110226-1100.jpg

sittingbull

Veteran
For those fortunate to have ridden centuries on bikes of different frame materials, which would be your preferred choice?

In recent times I've only ridden aluminium, I've found it harsh even with CF forks, switching to 25mm tyres has helped, probably due to lower tyre pressures,

I have no idea if I'm alone in riding aluminium and I'm happy riding a bike which delivers time after time and is more capable than I am., As said above though, centuries can be brutal, I'm just wondering if I could acheive the same with a little more comfort.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For those fortunate to have ridden centuries on bikes of different frame materials, which would be your preferred choice?

In recent times I've only ridden aluminium, I've found it harsh even with CF forks, switching to 25mm tyres has helped, probably due to lower tyre pressures,

I have no idea if I'm alone in riding aluminium and I'm happy riding a bike which delivers time after time and is more capable than I am., As said above though, centuries can be brutal, I'm just wondering if I could acheive the same with a little more comfort.

Most of my centuries are now on my Ti beauty, have also done a lot on my Carbon jobbie (mainly before I got the Ti, but it still get's a run out now and again), both are wonderful, comfy smooth rides that means I can cycle all day without any discomfort. I have done a few centuries on my Alu commuter bike, (though only if the weather is foul and I need mudguards). The ride, although ok and pleasant enough (Alu bikes are very well made these days and are getting better) I do feel and know that I have been on a long bike ride afterwards. It's by no means uncomfortable, more like not as smooth on the road as Ti or Carbon. And when you are doing long distances, you need as smooth and as comfortable as you can get. Ti & Carbon (& not forgetting Steel) give you that. Alu does to, but not as much,

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Mine are all on aluminium, the Allez has carbon forks, the Tricross doesn't. The Allez is on 25mm tyres, the Tricross on 28mm tyres (and mudguards and disc brakes so is a tad heavier than the Allez)

Not surprisingly the Allez is quicker and is probably more comfortable to ride on as it is my preferred choice for the longer rides, though it only comes out when it is dry.

I did a 128 miler on the Tricross and had a rack and rackbag on it at the time, that was knackering, but it was also my first double metric and one of my earlier imperials (makes me sound like a hardened veteran that ^_^)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Most of my centuries are now on my Ti beauty, have also done a lot on my Carbon jobbie (mainly before I got the Ti, but it still get's a run out now and again), both are wonderful, comfy smooth rides that means I can cycle all day without any discomfort. I have done a few centuries on my Alu commuter bike, (though only if the weather is foul and I need mudguards). The ride, although ok and pleasant enough (Alu bikes are very well made these days and are getting better) I do feel and know that I have been on a long bike ride afterwards. It's by no means uncomfortable, more like not as smooth on the road as Ti or Carbon. And when you are doing long distances, you need as smooth and as comfortable as you can get. Ti & Carbon (& not forgetting Steel) give you that. Alu does to, but not as much,

I'm going to have a Ti bike when I can afford it, or should I say when I can persuade our lass that spending £2,500 on a bike is reasonable

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm going to have a Ti bike when I can afford it, or should I say when I can persuade our lass that spending £2,500 on a bike is reasonable

£2500? Cheap one then? ;):whistle:

Ti bikes are worth every penny.
Even Mrs Ian who is not into cycling in the slightest say's it's a lovely looking bike. It does mean however that my lovely Roubaix doesn't get the attention that it deserves. I may have to seriously think of selling it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
£2500? Cheap one then? ;):whistle:

Ti bikes are worth every penny.
Even Mrs Ian who is not into cycling in the slightest say's it's a lovely looking bike. It does mean however that my lovely Roubaix doesn't get the attention that it deserves. I may have to seriously think of selling it.
Worth keeping an eye on Planet X. Lelly came in at less than £2k with a significant amount of SRAM Red on there. Just ignore @ianrauk , he's always been jealous that I got my Ti bike before him.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I do centuries on all four of mine: Chutney and the Trek are aluminium (carbon fork on the Trek), Condor is alu front triangle/carbon rear triangle and fork, Viner full carbon. In terms of comfort, the Viner wins, but there's not that much difference between it and the Trek, which is both a very good alu frame (one owner compares it favourably to his Litespeed!) and on 28mm tyres, compared to 25mm on the two roadies. I'd put Chutney next in terms of comfort, the 40mm tyres help there, and the Condor, though not uncomfortable, is designed to be racier and stiffer and it shows, both in handling and ride comfort. In terms of the speed/comfort balance, Viner definitely ahead- it just soaks up vibration in a way the others don't, only the Condor accelerates like it, and the weight is an advantage on rolling stuff (much of that round here!).

Top Bottom