The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
Interesting replies and experiences :okay:

I asked here rather than in one of the more general sections 'cos nothing beats miles on the road for an honest and accurate evaluation. A comparison with a decent steel frame would be appreciated if anyone has done one recently? Hopefully I'll give steel a go later in the challenge.

sittingbull

Veteran
Had me puzzled for a while there @StuAff (easily done) :wacko:

After a bit of searching I now realise Chutney is a Dahon Speed Pro TT.

........ Chutney (name previous owner gave it, suits it I think) will definitely be getting long range outings though...

martint235

Dog on a bike
Interesting replies and experiences :okay:

I asked here rather than in one of the more general sections 'cos nothing beats miles on the road for an honest and accurate evaluation. A comparison with a decent steel frame would be appreciated if anyone has done one recently? Hopefully I'll give steel a go later in the challenge.
I have a Ti and a steel bike set up roughly the same although the steel bike has disc brakes. Comfort wise they are about the same but there's a huge difference in weight. Obviously it doesn't help that the steel bike is the commuter with all the gubbins that goes with that like Marathons etc but I've yet to attempt a century on it. There'll be a day, one day, when I will though.

sittingbull

Veteran
I have a Ti and a steel bike set up roughly the same although the steel bike has disc brakes. Comfort wise they are about the same but there's a huge difference in weight.........
That's the bit I was hoping to hear! I've got 2 small (20") steel frames, 531c and 653 which I'm hoping will make comfortable mile munchers without too big a weight penalty (possibly similar weight to my Allez). One is currently single speed, the other is a bare frame in need of refinishing but I may build it up first to see what it's like.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's the bit I was hoping to hear! I've got 2 small (20") steel frames, 531c and 653 which I'm hoping will make comfortable mile munchers without too big a weight penalty (possibly similar weight to my Allez). One is currently single speed, the other is a bare frame in need of refinishing but I may build it up first to see what it's like.

Steel can be a very comfy ride. And very good steel frames weigh very little too.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Not looking to buy a Carbon jobbie anytime soon are you :whistle:

sittingbull

Veteran
Not looking to buy a Carbon jobbie anytime soon are you :whistle:
It's not something I'd rule out. I've built up a small number of bikes in the relatively short time (3 years) since cycling became my main recreational pursuit and I guess this will gradually whittle down as I find out what works best for me.

I have been considering carbon and have been looking at the Planet X frame offerings. Carbon appeals in a functional way, hopefully delivering on it's promises. The Roubaix is a great bike but probably in a different ball-park to those I've considered.

My tuppence (but I know I'm not alone in reaching this conclusion): FIT is far more relevant than frame material, when it comes to long distance comfort.

Only when you've got that right can you be in a position to get 'fussy' about frame material.

Of course if you happen to have two bikes identical in size/fit/geometry but made of different materials* (and the Genesis Equilibrium and Spa Audax are the only models that come readily to mind, available in both ti and steel and otherwise identical; maybe also a Dawes model?) -- then you're in a position to compare. And that may come down to personal preference rather than any objective/scientific criteria.

* I've never heard of any pairings like this other than ti and steel. Most brands do offer models in their range that are very close, with aluminium being the 'cheaper' option and carbon the 'upgrade' but when you look at the geometry charts, they are not in fact identical. And a few millimeters difference here and there can make a surprising difference to how the bike fits you and therefore how comfortable you are (or can make yourself) on it.

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
My tuppence (but I know I'm not alone in reaching this conclusion): FIT is far more relevant than frame material, when it comes to long distance comfort.

Only when you've got that right can you be in a position to get 'fussy' about frame material.

Of course if you happen to have two bikes identical in size/fit/geometry but made of different materials* (and the Genesis Equilibrium and Spa Audax are the only models that come readily to mind, available in both ti and steel and otherwise identical; maybe also a Dawes model?) -- then you're in a position to compare. And that may come down to personal preference rather than any objective/scientific criteria.

* I've never heard of any pairings like this other than ti and steel. Most brands do offer models in their range that are very close, with aluminium being the 'cheaper' option and carbon the 'upgrade' but when you look at the geometry charts, they are not in fact identical. And a few millimeters difference here and there can make a surprising difference to how the bike fits you and therefore how comfortable you are (or can make yourself) on it.
The frame geometry on my steel Planet X Kaffenback and on my Planet X Ti (which is actually a rebadged Van Nic) is identical. The Ti is as close as possible to the geometry on my old Giant Carbon bike. Other than that it's just been about little tweaks here and there to even out the differences. The steel bike and the Ti bike were both bought sight unseen off the internet so it was key that the geometries matched what I was used to. The key is that when I get on the bike there is no "this feels different" feeling and that that then stays the same up until 200+ miles. I don't want to get to 150 miles and think "this feels different to the last time I was at this distance" because of the bike. If the distance feels different I need to it to be down to something I can change there and then: energy levels; hydration levels etc. At 150 miles, if you find out the bike doesn't fit, it's a long walk home.

The frame geometry on my steel Planet X Kaffenback and on my Planet X Ti (which is actually a rebadged Van Nic) is identical. The Ti is as close as possible to the geometry on my old Giant Carbon bike. Other than that it's just been about little tweaks here and there to even out the differences. The steel bike and the Ti bike were both bought sight unseen off the internet so it was key that the geometries matched what I was used to. The key is that when I get on the bike there is no "this feels different" feeling and that that then stays the same up until 200+ miles. I don't want to get to 150 miles and think "this feels different to the last time I was at this distance" because of the bike. If the distance feels different I need to it to be down to something I can change there and then: energy levels; hydration levels etc. At 150 miles, if you find out the bike doesn't fit, it's a long walk home.
Exactly!! :smile:

Interesting about yours being a re-badged Van Nic. @Flying Dodo 's Planet X is a re-badged Lynskey.

So if @theclaud had bought her Kaffenback in the same size as your Planet X Ti, it'd be exactly the same geometry? Wow. I didn't understand those two models to have the same design spec (other than steel vs ti).

ETA: i've just had a look at the Planet X website. Presumably the sole ti option on sale there is not the same bike as yours or Adam's (his was the Sportive model, circa 2010/11), as the geometry is very different from the Kaffenback's.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Interesting about yours being a re-badged Van Nic. @Flying Dodo 's Planet X is a re-badged Lynskey.

So if @theclaud had bought her Kaffenback in the same size as your Planet X Ti, it'd be exactly the same geometry? Wow. I didn't understand those two models to have the same design spec (other than steel vs ti).

ETA: i've just had a look at the Planet X website. Presumably the sole ti option on sale there is not the same bike as yours or Adam's (his was the Sportive model, circa 2010/11), as the geometry is very different from the Kaffenback's.
Planet X changed suppliers just before I got mine for some reason. 'Teefs and I think Adam's have the straight, elegant seatstays that I was actually after whereas I have the wishbone stays. You'll also notice mine doesn't have the standard Van Nic dropouts so has obviously been designed to sell on.

The geometry changes slightly as the size goes up amongst other things to accommodate the lengthening head tube. I don't know which manufacturer they now have for the Ti model. Mine was bought Jan '12 just after the change from Lynksey to Van Nic.

Top Bottom