The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Planet X changed suppliers just before I got mine for some reason. 'Teefs and I think Adam's have the straight, elegant seatstays that I was actually after whereas I have the wishbone stays. You'll also notice mine doesn't have the standard Van Nic dropouts so has obviously been designed to sell on.

The geometry changes slightly as the size goes up amongst other things to accommodate the lengthening head tube. I don't know which manufacturer they now have for the Ti model. Mine was bought Jan '12 just after the change from Lynksey to Van Nic.

Adam's seatstays are curved. I know what you mean - I was so happy that, just at the point I ordered my Enigma, they'd decided to change back to straight seatstays.

Yes, I was comparing XL in both the Kaffenback and the current ti road bike on Planet X's website (builder/supplier unknown).

ETA. Sorry, the chainstays on Adam's are wishbone, the seatstays are straight when viewed from the side. It's the curved ones that look so fragile that they've sagged in the middle that I don't like!

rb58

Enigma
I ride steel, Ti and now carbon as well. I've done centuries on all of them. My Thorn Audax (steel) fits me beautifully and when I bought the Enigma I took the Thorn with me to the factory and asked them to get the set up the same.

In my experience, the Ti bike is the smoothest ride. Closely matched by the Thorn and the two steel fixed gear jobbies. My new Cannondale Synapse is very smooth, but the Ti still wins (although to be fair, it's new and I've old done two centuries on it).

I've never had a bike fit, and never felt I needed one - maybe I'm just the sort of person who doesn't notice small differences in set up. The only time I've felt uncomfortable was when I rode from Kent to Edinburgh (in 2 days). And I put that down to being on the saddle for so long (anyone want to buy a good condition Brooks B17?).

martint235

Dog on a bike
Adam's seatstays are curved. I know what you mean - I was so happy that, just at the point I ordered my Enigma, they'd decided to change back to straight seatstays.

Yes, I was comparing XL in both the Kaffenback and the current ti road bike on Planet X's website (builder/supplier unknown).

ETA. Sorry, the chainstays on Adam's are wishbone, the seatstays are straight when viewed from the side. It's the curved ones that look so fragile that they've sagged in the middle that I don't like!
I can't see a Ti one at the moment, could be a cache issue at work.

Lelly was the first bike that I took care over the sizing etc rather than just buying the biggest bike a supplier does. I went to all the trouble of measuring the Giant (which had proved to be comfy long distance) and so when I got the Kaffenback I checked back to the sizing of Lelly and it is definitely the same. If you stand them next to each other the only differences are in tube diameter.

martint235

Dog on a bike
You selling Lelly then?
Now you're just being silly! :smile: And everyone complained and complained at me last year and early this year when I put her into semi-retirement......

EDIT: I've never had a bike fit either. It's by feel and as I said earlier I don't want to get on one of the road bikes and think "this feels different"

rb58

Enigma
It's the curved ones that look so fragile that they've sagged in the middle that I don't like!
My Enigma has the curved seat stays and (in my eyes) they are one of the most elegant features of the bike. I'm not a frame builder, but I would have thought curved stays would lead to a softer ride than straight ones. Happy to be corrected though.

One other thing worth saying about Ti, is that properly looked after (and that's easy enough) it maintains its good looks. I think mine is in its fifth 'season' and still looks almost new.

@martint235 - here's a link to the only one on the website at the moment.

@rb58 - Jim and Paul said that's what they expected riders to find but the feedback was neglible/inconclusive. Paul owns several ti bikes of several different brands and puts 1000s of miles in, says he just can't feel any difference that he could attribute to the shape of the seatstays.

Straight tubing of course means less work/time.

martint235

Dog on a bike
@martint235 - here's a link to the only one on the website at the moment.

@rb58 - Jim and Paul said that's what they expected riders to find but the feedback was neglible/inconclusive. Paul owns several ti bikes of several different brands and puts 1000s of miles in, says he just can't feel any difference that he could attribute to the shape of the seatstays.

Straight tubing of course means less work/time.
Ah. That may still be Van Nic (although I can't be sure) but it's the Pro frame rather than the Sportive. The Pro frame is quite different.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
£2500? Cheap one then? ;):whistle:

Ti bikes are worth every penny.
Even Mrs Ian who is not into cycling in the slightest say's it's a lovely looking bike. It does mean however that my lovely Roubaix doesn't get the attention that it deserves. I may have to seriously think of selling it.

The Van nichs Zephyr comes out at around £2,300, my lbs can do me a set of hand built bomb proof wheels for circa £200. - £2,500 job done - apart from another £60 on marathon pluses :laugh:

Top Bottom