The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I think the distance from any GPS allways reads very slightly less than real distance.I bet if you plotted the route on map my ride or similar it would be over a 100 miles.

I don't know why that is but wonder if the gps connects all the dots with straight lines where as the actual roads are continuous curves .It is completely unimportant but something that I have pondered about before.

4.47 is an impressive time .:bravo:

@Banjo
GPS calculates the distance travelled based on the longitude and latitude recorded by the device, due to this the distance is "flat", if you do an undulating route you will travel further than the gps states, obviously the longer the route the bigger the difference. If you have a wheel sensor then subject to you getting the settings right, then your distance travelled will be more accurate.

@Norry1 - very very impressive, remind me never to come out for a ride with you, you would spend longer waiting for me than riding.

Norry1

Legendary Member
It is a bit
@Banjo
GPS calculates the distance travelled based on the longitude and latitude recorded by the device, due to this the distance is "flat", if you do an undulating route you will travel further than the gps states, obviously the longer the route the bigger the difference. If you have a wheel sensor then subject to you getting the settings right, then your distance travelled will be more accurate.

@Norry1 - very very impressive, remind me never to come out for a ride with you, you would spend longer waiting for me than riding.

It is a bit misleading. The fast times are largely due to riding in chaingangs and no stopping cos of closed roads.

Norry1

Legendary Member
It is a bit
@Banjo

It is a bit misleading. The fast times are largely due to riding in chaingangs and no stopping cos of closed roads.

sittingbull

Veteran
........ The fast times are largely due to riding in chaingangs........
70 miles into my last ton I had to work hard to catch a group in front of me, once I'd caught them I was practically freewheeling. i did consider going around the outside and passing them but thought this might not be wise :smile:

I've been told the "pull" is worth 2-3 mph, still a very impressive time all the same :okay:

How was it for you?
Great, thanks, the weather helped too :-)
There was three of us and we took it fairly easy for the first 80miles during which somebody decided to jump into our group, he'd be on the wheel of whoever was in front. Lol, I'd be sitting behind my two mates and he was too but if we came to a bend he'd move to the wheel I was following, I quickly learnt to give him a wide berth but he was determined. Then he decided on straights if the wheel he was following dropped 2feet behind the wheel to their left/right, he'd jump onto the faster wheel. Saw him again about 25miles out (he must have passed at the Newland's Corner feed stop, it was a bit chaotic, you did right not stopping), he wasn't jumping on the wheel this time, I tt'd the next 10miles or so, sat up for a bit and tt'd the the 10 or so to the finish :laugh: Its quite a fast course. The under measurement was probably the tunnels if you didn't have a speed sensor, I don't. My ride. Another site just drawing straight lines gave me over a mile more from the gps track.

Bad GPS data is a pain, particularly where elevation correction is involved. My Garmin registered not much more than 11,000 feet on the biggest climbing day in France, when I let Strava correct the elevation it jumped to 18,000 feet. Most route guides suggest the actual number was ~14,500.
Obviously I left it at 18,000 :shy:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Mine's pencilled in for a week on Monday, weather permitting, nice 100+ loop with a couple of testing climbs thrown in :wacko:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Did mine. IOW night recce done at the second attempt, that took me to 67 and a bit miles before breakfast. 1500 calories later, set off to do 32 and a bit miles..get to the turn-off for the ferry terminal with a few miles still to do. Bother! Got there in the end. Quite lumpy, unsurprisingly!

Top Bottom