The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
August done and dusted :smile:

Nice and early this month :whistle:

DTF

sittingbull

Veteran
Thursday's Ton took me to Sandbach, a route I've done once or twice before. The weather was pretty much perfect, I wasn't quite making the progress I'd hoped for on the outward leg but that was due to the headwind which fortunately helped on my return :smile:

As on previous rides I seem to be drawn to canals :wacko: This brief stop was just before Sandbach:

sandbach.jpg

A few miles further on and I was reminded of the pleasures and freedom of cycling on a sunny day ^_^ The M6 northbound was at a standstill, nothing serious I think, as on my return after another 8 miles it was flowing freely again:

m6.jpg

Just a few more miles further on and I spotted in the distance an old adversary - Mow Cop. It was (and may still be?) the venue for a number of one mile uphill road (running) races held on a summer's evening each year. I competed in a couple of "The Killer Mile" races with a best time of around 8.5 mins. This was back in 1991 and I suspect would be quicker than I could cycle up it today (IF I could cycle up it). The climb features in the 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs in Britain:

mow_cop.jpg

It will soon be September :smile:

Good luck to those with August yet to complete :okay:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
This could be the month I drop out of the challenge :sad:
Hopefully can fit one in somehow, may even have to do a night ride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm signed up to a sportive on the 29th which I'll be using to get my qualifying ride in

Looking at the BBC weather app. Looking good weather wise in Perthshire.
Hope your ride is going well.

The weather was alternating between spotty rain and dry but the wind was a killer.

Due to a series of unhappy circumstances I hit the start line 5 minutes before it closed.
I was the last person to set off on the road and apart from those doing the 50 route (which split at mile 19) it was to remain that way for 75 miles before I caught and passed 2 ladies. I felt like a right git for doing it but I hurt far too much to be chivalrous and just wanted to get it over with.
A very windy day with the twin psychological factors of being last and alone and fearing the broom wagon meant that I went far more aggressively than I should have, and cracked on the climb out of Pitlochry (mile 55 on the event, 70 on the road) and never really regained form, especially once I turned into the wind for the home stretch.

Total Distance: 126 miles. Not sure of total time as too gubbed to work it out. Upwards of 8 hours 40 certainly.

Aren't these supposed to get easier??

Top Bottom