FNRttC The (not the) Fridays Tour of the Low Countries 2015

Which of these week-long tours would you sign up for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
In any ordinary year I'd have jumped at the chance to come along and (disrupt the) ride but 2015 is an extra-ordinary year, and not entirely in a good way; though I hope that most of those "not good way" parts are behind me now.

In short, on a strictly limited, and entirely short-term, basis I appear to have semi-emigrated to Copenhagen, with occasional side trips to Malmo and Stockholm. All three excellent places to cycle in btw, providing one avoids the hand grenades in those, less attractive, parts of Malmo wherein the locals, and not-so-locals, lob them at each other on an all too frequent basis. (Shssss! one must not mention immigration in Sweden, it just isn't done. It's the Danes that are racist not the Swedes. Apparently.)

I'm here until the end of October, apart from the odd trip back to blighty to cwtch with TLH and shout at #1 son and the gorgeous Betty. I'm angling to move to Stockholm for the winter. Why? Because it is there!

Have a lovely time, every one of you.

Last edited:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
@User , thank you, but alas and regrettably, no.
They'll never give me the time off. They already exceptionally and generously granted me a long weekend in May for France and a whole week at the end of July.
I'd be pushing my luck to get any more time off.

Is there an itinerary anywhere?

Friday 04/09/2015 ferry crossing either afternoon or overnight -- with tour kicking off approx. 7am Saturday in Eu

Saturday 05/09/2015 Marconne-Hesdin
END (FRIDAYS CENTRAL): Les Trois Fontaines

Sunday 06/09/2015 Ypres (Ieper)
END (FRIDAYS CENTRAL): Menin Gate

Monday 07/09/2015 Bruges (Brugge)
END (FRIDAYS CENTRAL): town centre/market square, central Bruges

Tuesday 08/09/2015 Hellevoetsluis
END (FRIDAYS CENTRAL): “pretty bridge in town centre” approx 1800

Wednesday 09/09/2015 & Thursday 10/09/2015 Bunnik
END (FRIDAYS CENTRAL): shopping centre in town centre

Friday 11/09/2015 Zaandam
END (FRIDAYS CENTRAL): Het Zaanse Pannenkoekenpaleis, Wilhelminastraat 8, Zaandam

Saturday 12/09/2015 Zaandam > Hoek de Holland
Rail & Sail: HOEK DE HOLLAND TO HARWICH (GORDON DOING GROUP BOOKING)
depart 2200, arrive 0630

frank9755

Cyclist
Right, my plan is to get the Tuesday night ferry to Hoek, arriving Wednesday morning and meet everyone else on the road some time on Weds.
I'll assume that I just book everything separately - but please let me know if there are any group things I should be aware of.
Need to do it all tomorrow as off to France on Saturday morning.

ianmac62

Guru
Hi @frank9755 - that's good news. (And I know you're busy over the weekend!)

@Gordon P is busy walking the Alps; and @mmmmartin is busy like yourself - so, as the keeper of The List, I'll add you to it!

On the Wednesday we are pedalling from Hellevoetsluis to Bunnik. @mmmmartin has posted a .gpx file for the day in the conversation rather than in this forum.

We spend two nights (Wed 9th & Thu 10th) in Bunnik, one night (Fri 11th) in Zaandam, and catch the Hook-to-Harwich ferry at 2200 on Sat 12th arriving 0630 on Sun 13th.

The single most popular choice for accommodation in Bunnik is the Postillion Hotel Utrecht Bunnik (Kosterijland 8, 3981 AJ BUNNIK). For Zaandam, there's no obvious popular choice although the Café Brasserie Het Heerenhuis (Zuiderweg 74, 1456 NH WIJDEWORMER) just edges it.

You might want to ask in the convo if anyone has booked a twin room in Bunnik or Zaandam and has a spare bed.

Hope this helps!

frank9755

Cyclist
Thanks Ian, that's very helpful

Enjoy the trip folks, we are just back from Belgium and the Netherlands and having had a quick look at your route we would have crossed it on more than one occasion. This was our third trip over in as many years and always really enjoy it. I will be writing a travelogue soon so do have a look, will probably post the first bit on Monday. Any advice or tips needed please ask, though I am sure you have everything covered by now.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
We think we have it nailed now, lunch is sorted, and accommodation plus the route all done. please put up a link to your blog - all info is good info.

Nobody ever has everything covered, it is just a question of having enough.
But, if you are going to travel to another country without everything covered on a bike then the Netherlands is the place to go.
We think we have it nailed now, lunch is sorted, and accommodation plus the route all done. please put up a link to your blog - all info is good info.
Will do.

Top Bottom