Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Laying under the bed covers with a short wave radio, scanning across listening to all those wierd foreign languages and the eeeeoooooeeeooooo in the background. It always seemed more interesting after bedtime.

And vol au vents...what happened to them. They had a classy air to them years ago...oooo, vol au vents. I havnt seen them fpr years, ive insisted we have some this Xmas.

Did that too,and I could pick up the local Police channels.
I used to jot down all the places they had to go to "stop a disturbance".
And I actually thought Radio Luxembourg was coming from Luxembourg.
Or was it ? .Hmm

Salar

A fish out of water
Not for animal lovers.

Back in the 60's we would go down to a dock wall on the Tyne, it was about 30'0" or so above the slimy muddy riverbank.
Armed with half bricks from demolished buildings and bomb sites we would lean over and take aim with our own silent bombs (bricks) on the unsuspecting targets below ,black rats scavenging in the muck.

The best time to see the swarms of rats would be when a large ship was being launched at the shipyards, we got a half day off school if someone important was launching the ship.
Anyway, when the ship was launched a huge wave would sometimes go across the Tyne, bounce off the walls on the other side, travel back across the river and wash all the rats out of their hidey holes.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Abbot and Eddie's
St Edmonds Pale Ale was a very strong bottled pale ale by Greene King. A pint of Abbot topped up with Eddie's was my tipple of choice at 18, about mumble-mumble years ago. The effect was like drinking light and bitter, then getting hit with a cricket bat! :cheers:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
We had a box to put milk and bottles in, I think Orberweis still has that. I just get mine at the store, since my old dairy delivery company went out. But my dogs love to bark at the Oberweis milkman. Maximillian is really angry at the Schwann fellow(frozen food delivery) , can't figure out why. Probably wants tribute, paid in Chicken Kiev.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
I have just seen someone using a telephone box for its intended purpose! She even had the receiver in her hand and everything.
I thought the phone boxes around here were only used as:
a) a display board for the "ladies of the night" cards
b) somewhere to stand out of the wind when making a call on your mobile
c) a lavatory for when the walk between pubs or the pub and home is just too long

I have just seen someone using a telephone box for its intended purpose! She even had the receiver in her hand and everything.
I thought the phone boxes around here were only used as:
a) a display board for the "ladies of the night" cards
b) somewhere to stand out of the wind when making a call on your mobile
c) a lavatory for when the walk between pubs or the pub and home is just too long
Phone boxes used to be handy things if you didn't have a phone.

Top Bottom