Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was forced to do TD as my only 'craft' subject by my father, never got any good marks as all my projects were covered in fingermarks (probably from 'fettling' my bike and messing about with field motorbikes all the time)
I'd have loved to do metalwork and woodwork at school as in my 'working' life I spent 4 years as an apprentice car mechanic (SAAB Main Dealer) then 8 yrs as a 'Green Sand' Foundry Moulder (mainly ornamental Brassware but a couple of years doing aluminium engineering castings) before going to college full time for 2yrs (Southfields in Leicester) and qualifying as a Cabinet Maker and going on to build bespoke cabinetry for shops.
I did all 3 science subjects as i was and still am very interested on how stuff works, fark all use to me they were.

martint235

Dog on a bike
We had to buy it from a local hardware store. Would they sell a gallon of paraffin to a 10 year old these days? I think not.
We used to go to the local allotment society hut. It was called Pink Paraffin and I think had a pink elephant as a logo. Although we had central heating, me and my brother used to have to share the attic room where the heating didn't reach so we had a paraffin heater in the corner. I'm sure there's all kind of regulations against that nowadays.

I can remember during my last year at Junior school in the 60's the local cinema had the latest film on release 633 Squadron. It was a bit unfortunate as the timing of the release coincided with conker season and having used up our conkers in the traditional way, we thought of a way using up the bits! Ammo! Our imagination had been fuelled by the film, it only seemed natural to reinact it in the playground. We split into two sides each side occupying either cycle shed and carried out running battles for days.
If Health and Safety had been around in those days they would have been off work with R.S.I.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
10660129_10153254748841470_3215145625930609428_n.jpg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I did all 3 science subjects

Also known as: 'Exploding stuff', 'moving stuff' and stuff that doesn't work'

vernon

My work email inbox currently has 1,983 unread emails, I've just checked, most of them being cc'd to all staff with subject lines like: 'Has anyone seen my spectacles', 'I have mislaid my school planner', 'Bunch of keys missing'

I now only open work emails that: have my payslip attached, mention a pupil that I have on my books, or is a summons to the headmasters office.

This year I have read four work emails.

vernon

When my son Rob graduated from university, I had a look at his email account. There were 5,234 unopened emails.....he insisted on using a Hotmail account. The first email he received was notification of the imminent retirement of the college chaplain. The last one was notification of the retirement of the new chaplain :laugh:

Things we used to do.....attend lectures...

In my first year at university I quickly became estranged from maths lectures and reintroduced myself to them around six weeks before the exams. I commented to a fellow coursemate upon the change of lecturer to which he responded: "He's the fourth one since the start of the course"

My pure maths re-sit beckoned.....

Top Bottom