Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I think I used to have halibut oil and sugar in a teaspoon.

Sounds better than Cod Liver Oil

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I can remember when I was young in the 50's being given a spoonful of a brown syrup a bit like Bovril but slightly sweet and granular in texture. I don't know what it was as I was too young.
Could it have been Roboleine?
My mother insisted that I took it, because I was small and weedy. It didn't do any good - I'm still small and weedy :blush:.
I liked the taste, so I didn't object.

Roboleine.jpg

I can remember in the 60's we used to have bread delivered by the local baker. One day in particular comes to mind, my brother were off from school and a nice warm freshly baked loaf arrived. The warm sweet smell soon had us picking bits off to eat and it wasn't long before we had tunneled half way through the loaf. We got into a bit of trouble over that.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My wife thought that it might be Virol. I can't remember as I was young at the time, it must have tasted nice otherwise I wouldn't have eaten it.
I think Virol was a malt extract preparation (the original Virol also had bone marrow in it). I remember being given the NHS version, it came in a wide necked brown glass jar, IIRC, I didn't like the NHS cod liver oil or the NHS orange juice either :thumbsdown:

I can remember years ago that Saturday afternoons on TV was full of all different sports, wrestling, scrambling, rally cross, formula 3 motor racing, rugby.

Is it that they don't want to raise our blood pressure too much?

Can anyone remember the old Morris or BMC lorry from the 1960's which had had a rounded cab with small windows low down in the front and had the doors in the rear. Working in a garage in the 70's I needed to move them occasionally, climb aboard shut the door move the lorry, and then phone box syndrome would strike. Where's the door?

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
My wife thought that it might be Virol. I can't remember as I was young at the time, it must have tasted nice otherwise I wouldn't have eaten it.

Have you tried this,

Potters-Malt-Extract-with-Cod-Liver-Oil-Original1-300x300.png

somewhat similar to what we were given at the boarding school I attended. Matron had to be careful that we only had one spoon full! Tried it again recently and quite enjoyed it.

Can anyone remember the Britain's 1/32nd toy soldiers and knights from the 60's. The ones I am talking about came with weapons that could be detached, the bodies would separate at the middle and the heads would swivel. The knights visors would flip up and down, the soldiers came with a detachable helmet, back pack, shovel and FN rifle. I have looked in the local auctions but have never seen any.

CharlesF

Guru
Can anyone remember the Britain's 1/32nd toy soldiers and knights from the 60's. The ones I am talking about came with weapons that could be detached, the bodies would separate at the middle and the heads would swivel. The knights visors would flip up and down, the soldiers came with a detachable helmet, back pack, shovel and FN rifle. I have looked in the local auctions but have never seen any.

That brings back happy memories, they were Britains Swoppits, and I had endless fun with them. Some sadly died when blown up with squibs and flash bombs.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear

Charity shop in Berko had the smaller Airfix ones, £5 a box. Thought the RAF ground crew would go with the models I've yet to build, but too dear.

[="CharlesF, post: 4206305, member: 4713"]That brings back happy memories, they were Britains Swoppits, and I had endless fun with them. Some sadly died when blown up with squibs and flash bombs.[/QUOTE]

That's the ones, I looked them up on E after you said what they were called. They were great figures, even the trees and plants were good.

Top Bottom