Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
Can anyone remember the Britain's 1/32nd toy soldiers and knights from the 60's. The ones I am talking about came with weapons that could be detached, the bodies would separate at the middle and the heads would swivel. The knights visors would flip up and down, the soldiers came with a detachable helmet, back pack, shovel and FN rifle. I have looked in the local auctions but have never seen any.
upload_2016-3-23_19-27-51.png

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Can anyone remember the Britain's 1/32nd toy soldiers and knights from the 60's. The ones I am talking about came with weapons that could be detached, the bodies would separate at the middle and the heads would swivel. The knights visors would flip up and down, the soldiers came with a detachable helmet, back pack, shovel and FN rifle. I have looked in the local auctions but have never seen any.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3rLF-QAS67I

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Remember in the old day when your washing machine, fridge or other white goods stopped working and you had to actually go and fetch a new one (no t`internet back then for AO) and then actually take your old one to the tip... not just leave it at the end of your drive?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Remember in the old day when your washing machine, fridge or other white goods stopped working and you had to actually go and fetch a new one (no t`internet back then for AO) and then actually take your old one to the tip... not just leave it at the end of your drive?
I remember when it was economical to fix your washing machine if/when it broke, nowadays if you get someone in (assuming you can't fix it yourself like I can) they just suck air in through their teeth (a bit like dodgy mechanics) and say "it'll cost" or you find that the price of spare parts is astronomical.
When our last one packed in I knew it was the motor burnt out (cos it was all blackened) reconditioned motors used to be about £50 but nowadays "You can't get them anymore mate" and a new one was in excess of 200 notes..................................... plus VAT.

EDIT - At lest I managed to turn the old drum into one of these

a924e0ef44572b90736a024d0406e0eb.jpg

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I remember when it was economical to fix your washing machine if/when it broke, nowadays if you get someone in (assuming you can't fix it yourself like I can) they just suck air in through their teeth (a bit like dodgy mechanics) and say "it'll cost" or you find that the price of spare parts is astronomical.
When our last one packed in I knew it was the motor burnt out (cos it was all blackened) reconditioned motors used to be about £50 but nowadays "You can't get them anymore mate" and a new one was in excess of 200 notes..................................... plus VAT.

Sorry, you reminded me of this:

raleighnut said:

It looks a bit like a satellite.

I can remember in the late 50's early 60's trying to walk between railway carriages with difficulty. They were dark swayed from side to side especially if the train was crossing a set of points and they didn't have welded track in those days. I hated doing that when I was young.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
As a child in the early eighties I had a cycling log book for all the miles I clocked up using this :smile:

Crazy how my parents would allow me cycling all over Manchester also aged 12, didnt have any brakes on the bike either

How things have changed, I feel old now

2372406590_cb6e69f72d_b.jpg

Not my cyclometer or picture, Its of the web

YahudaMoon

Über Member
My brother had a couple of those In the sixties. Didn't they have a habit of ending up in the spokes?

No, well, not that I remember, weren't available in metric though either from what I remember :smile:

A few years before I started logging my miles, me being somewhat 10 years old, lolly pop sticks in the spokes was used for that motor engine sound, that didn't do the spokes much good

I was wondering if 3D glasses would have worked on the Today newspaper. I think it was the first newspaper in this country to introduce colour, it was so out of register that it was blurry.

Top Bottom