Thoughts on Lance Armstrong. ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3503377, member: 76"]Oh get a grip, he never destroyed anyones life! He cheated in a sporting event. You don't even know he took sadistic pleasure, he was probably just in so deep he had no choice but to defend his position to the end. Blimey, aren't you a copper? ....[/QUOTE]

Ask those who lost every penny they had after being sued maliciously by Armstrong despite the fact they told the truth. They may have a different view to you about their life being destroyed

As for me being a copper... Really? How little do you know

KneesUp

Guru
I think he did what he felt he had to do to be competitive - and that's what all top sportspeople do. Of course some realise that they don't have what it takes to be the very best - but can you imagine the frustration of thinking 'I could be the very best if only the others weren't cheating?'

Whilst we have to give tremendous credit to LeMond for not doing so, his career was drawing to a close at the start of the EPO era, albeit it's end was hastened by the rise of doped riders. Armstrong was then a young rider who had to choose between a career winning things by cheating in the same way as many others were, or a career as a journeyman pro.

Having made that decision and made a lot of money out of it of course he was then massively protective of the lie. What choice did he have? He had more to lose than anyone else.

I don't think it's a decision I would have made, but then even if I had the physical attributes, I don't have the drive to be a top sportsperson, so what do I know about how I would have reacted.

He makes a valid point that he has been punished more harshly than others. I note that Ulrich was not stripped of his Olympic title and is still recorded as a Tour de France winner, for example, as is Riis, whose result not officially has an asterix next to it, whereas Armstrong just had his taken from him.

I don't like there being no winner those years - if the committee can't say who the best placed clean rider was, they should admit that they didn't screen properly and give the title to the person who finished first. Claim the prize money back by all means, but someone won those races.

I really do wish people did a bit of research (there's enough information available!) rather than post the type of rubbish that was being posted prior to him be found out or only part of the information available, or attempt to be amateur psychologists.

Anyway, I shall leave you to your nobbery. Adieu.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think he did what he felt he had to do to be competitive - and that's what all top sportspeople do. Of course some realise that they don't have what it takes to be the very best - but can you imagine the frustration of thinking 'I could be the very best if only the others weren't cheating?'

Whilst we have to give tremendous credit to LeMond for not doing so, his career was drawing to a close at the start of the EPO era, albeit it's end was hastened by the rise of doped riders. Armstrong was then a young rider who had to choose between a career winning things by cheating in the same way as many others were, or a career as a journeyman pro.

Having made that decision and made a lot of money out of it of course he was then massively protective of the lie. What choice did he have? He had more to lose than anyone else.

I don't think it's a decision I would have made, but then even if I had the physical attributes, I don't have the drive to be a top sportsperson, so what do I know about how I would have reacted.

He makes a valid point that he has been punished more harshly than others. I note that Ulrich was not stripped of his Olympic title and is still recorded as a Tour de France winner, for example, as is Riis, whose result not officially has an asterix next to it, whereas Armstrong just had his taken from him.

I don't like there being no winner those years - if the committee can't say who the best placed clean rider was, they should admit that they didn't screen properly and give the title to the person who finished first. Claim the prize money back by all means, but someone won those races.

Which is the cheese that's full of holes?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I watched the full interview last night and was struck by how he'd managed to separate himself from Lance Armstrong the bully and cheat. He talked about that part of his personality as someone else. Dissociated personality. I thought the interviewer - was it Matt Slater or did he only do the BBC article? - did a good job by challenging him directly but non-aggressively.

That thing about supposing his mum got MS (which she hasn't) and he wouldn't be allowed to compete to raise funds for an MS charity and how it's hurting others. No, it's not hurting others. It's a figment of LA's imagination: there are no others in his made up scenario. Well, apart from his mother, who he's instrumentalised. And if he had been concerned about an MS charity being denied the chance to raise funds, why didn't he imagine sponsoring and publicising other runners or cyclists to compete and raise funds? He could have invested his energy in helping other up-and-coming athletes. That would have needed him to think of other people, though.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I watched the full interview last night and was struck by how he'd managed to separate himself from Lance Armstrong the bully and cheat. He talked about that part of his personality as someone else. Dissociated personality. I thought the interviewer - was it Matt Slater or did he only do the BBC article? - did a good job by challenging him directly but non-aggressively.

I can to some extent empathise with that.

At different stages in our lives we can be totally different people. It's possible to recognise wrong doing and genuinely reform, though in this or any individual case it's impossible to tell whether the remorse is genuine or just PR. Time will (May) tell.

brand

He did do Steroids? and they can change someone personality into a total a*se hole up to and including murderer.

Top Bottom