Thursday Night Ride to the Coast - 17th April to Felpham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sketchley

Über Member
Indeed unless i get lost lol. The main cost is going to be beaconsfield to london. Im quite happy to find some goup savers and return via bognor. I will check out cost for chiltern train from home to london but i thought bank hols are not off peak

Checked it already, £20 return.

Captain Defect

Regular
M
An off peak return from Beaconsfield to Marylebone which work for Thursday Night, rtn Friday PM is only £20. Bognor to Victoria can be had for £17:30(super off peak single) or £8.65 with group save. Sub £30 to get home isn't "very expensive" although it's not cheap!

Uxbridge to Zone 1 is = £3 off peak with Oyster so £6 in total if you have Oyster card (if not it's £5.90 each way) You can save £14 doing this instead of Marylebone route, question is if this is worth having to ride to and more importantly back from Uxbridge.

Note I've not checked for any engineering works on Marylebone line or the Bognor line for that matter....

As said above, do not drive...... Plus you might just fancy a beer in Bognor before getting the train home it has been known.
Many thanks. the train from home is best. I will have to beg the wife for an extra £14 money so tight at the mo. A pint sounds likely for sure

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you're forced to find a cheaper train than from home, you might find Amersham a better bet than Uxbridge. It's something like £3.90 single off-peak with an Oyster card, it's a bit closer than Uxbridge, and the roads are quieter and the tube is quicker. Down Station Road, right at the bottom then straight on at Tesco's. Left past the hospital then take the cycle path next to the Wycombe Road. Turn left through Winchmore Hill, ignore Coleshill, sharp left again to do a down and an up to the Penn Road, where it's downhill to Beaconsfield town centre. On the other hand if you really want to save money, ignore the siren calls of people tempting you down the pub.

Wobblers

Euthermic
@Captain Defect, normally I would be getting into Marylebone - but tomorrow, thanks to Administrative Cockup #1, it'll be Euston. I'll be going down Marylebone Road on my way to HPC, so I could certainly drop by the station and if you want some company/guidance on the way. But that's likely to be at 11-30pm (that's Administrative Cockup #2, sorry Simon, I'll be a bit late). Give me a shout if you fancy hanging around for a while!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not on a fold up. On an old racer.
Old racer? I think you'll find that the correct term is "classic vintage machine" or "retro masterpiece"

U

User10571

Not on a fold up. On an old racer. Thanks for the info. Its hard work this cycling thing and thats just the planning lol. Hats off to simon for arranging these events

Never mind the nominations and secret ballot currently underway elsewhere on the forum (if truth be known, I haven't been following the event as closely as I usually do) but I think I can say without fear of contradiction that we have a clear and outstanding winner for this year's 'Best use of understatement in a post' award. Until the above, I had not seen a post to match the calibre of those of last year's winner, New Zealander Aerid Drybait, when he stepped up to the podium to collect his much deserved trophy at the forum awards.
Class.

Captain Defect

Regular
If you're forced to find a cheaper train than from home, you might find Amersham a better bet than Uxbridge. It's something like £3.90 single off-peak with an Oyster card, it's a bit closer than Uxbridge, and the roads are quieter and the tube is quicker. Down Station Road, right at the bottom then straight on at Tesco's. Left past the hospital then take the cycle path next to the Wycombe Road. Turn left through Winchmore Hill, ignore Coleshill, sharp left again to do a down and an up to the Penn Road, where it's downhill to Beaconsfield town centre. On the other hand if you really want to save money, ignore the siren calls of people tempting you down the pub.
Thanks. I think i go uxbridge in. Then use train home

Top Bottom