Thursday Night Ride to the Coast - 17th April to Felpham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
CRIVENS! That's loads of people.

nope, usual for time of year.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Adrian C
Alice C
Andrew F
Angus L
Anne H
Anne M
Arno Elout
Ben S
Carine B
Carl P2
Carlos R
Charlie B
Charlotte B
Chris D
Claudine C
Dave F
David P
Dr John B
Geoff S
Graeme G
Grahame D
Greg T
Ian A
Ian McS
James Gi
Jane D
Janet G
Jenny M
Jo T
John M
John S
Jon the farmer
User10571
Kim W
Lee T
Louise M
Lu H
Luke C
Mark W
Martin T
Martin T2
Martin W
Mary L
Mick B
Neil G
Nick L
Nigel Cri
Nigel Cro
Nikki W
Olufemi I
Peter D
Peter L
Peter W
Philip P
Quentin W
Rebekah W
Rob Hw
Rob H
Ross C
Sandra
Simon C
Sonia W
Stan E
Stephen B
Steve D
Stuart A
Susie F
Titus
Young Joe H

Errr ... I sent you an email and everything?

kimble

Veteran
Chiltern? They've got their very cheap tickets, and no need for bike reservations.

Or even (shudder) London Midland, if you happen to be very, very patient?

They, along with Virgin, have an abundance of trains to and from That London. It's getting back from Bognor that appears to be an issue...

mmmmartin

Random geezer
It's getting back from Bognor that appears to be an issue...
@kimble maybe go for a train arriving into London after 10.55 because you will be travelling on a Friday and perhaps the website doesn't realise it is Good Friday rather than a normal working day?
I'm getting £11 ish with an Old Farts Card so Groupsave Magic should get you about £9 ish with three chums.....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
They, along with Virgin, have an abundance of trains to and from That London. It's getting back from Bognor that appears to be an issue...

Oh dear. Is there a problem with bank hol services? Should I be paying heed to this as well?

I was planning to consult my legs on arrival and either skip breakfast and go direct to Bognor station or else eat and then cycle in a vaguely North Easterly direction until my legs give out and get on a train London-wards (and accept that I will have to pay full whack as a result of my lack of planning).

Am I being a bit too cavalier about this?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I wonder if I can get a hall pass for this ride....A day after my wedding anniversary.

I don't see why not, I mean what else could she want ya married her didn't ya, that should be enough.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not at all, @Dogtrousers - it seems to me that is what pretty much everyone else does and, in fact, what I shall probably do
I will rest easy. Thanks.

I was just a bit alarmed by what @kimble was saying, and thought maybe I'd missed an Olympics-style fatwah on bikes on trains on the 18th or something. (Or perhaps there has been one - but it just applies to recumbents :tongue: ).

I have my first imperial century of the year planned the weekend before, so I will be supremely fit and confident ... maybe ... or maybe not.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Felpham is pencilled into the calendar.
Email sent, wound healing, albeit slowly, and if there is any chance of damaging it thereby theatening my chances of riding Le Recce I shall have to rethink. But all going well now.
Edit
Train tickets to Lunnun and back also bought. Groupsave back from Bognor innit.

Last edited:

kimble

Veteran
I will rest easy. Thanks.

I was just a bit alarmed by what @kimble was saying, and thought maybe I'd missed an Olympics-style fatwah on bikes on trains on the 18th or something. (Or perhaps there has been one - but it just applies to recumbents :tongue: ).

Well, I'm getting a popup about engineering works and none of the obvious direct Victoria trains will allow me to make a seat/bike reservation. Of course this might all be an artefact of the database, and the trains will be perfectly fine, but it's hardly confidence inspiring.

Winging it doesn't work well with pre-booked onward connections north of Watford.

Tim Hall

Well, I'm getting a popup about engineering works and none of the obvious direct Victoria trains will allow me to make a seat/bike reservation. Of course this might all be an artefact of the database, and the trains will be perfectly fine, but it's hardly confidence inspiring.

Winging it doesn't work well with pre-booked onward connections north of Watford.
Can't see any disruptions flagged on the National Rail Enquiries website. Direct train from Bognor to VIC at nn.56 and nn.30 which is 9 minutes slower than a two change (Barnham and Horsham). I'm 95% sure that the change at Horsham is a virtual one, with coaches being added rather than a delicate leap and dash along the platform. Infact doing the change looks fairly pointless as you end up on a train that started in Bognor. Such complication may have been why George V said what he did.

Top Bottom