To Hull and Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike e

I thought it might be best to start a new topic for this possible venture.

Simon, no experience of Great Central trains but there last train leaving London Kings Cross is 16.50 which arrives into York at 18.47. This been a tad early for a ride departure, I shall badger NXEC and butter them up for a suggested mass cycle carriage to either Doncaster or York. With a view to the return arrangements there is a company based in Hull that has a coach with a bike trailer who could possibly return us all from the coast to the outward rail station, again I shall make enquiries. I'm not sure what level of interest there might be? but I can start asking questions.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Did you have any particular route in mind?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that the level of interest will be based on

- price
- togetherness. If we take a train, or even a coach up together the numbers will increase
- goodies. Cycling across the Humber Bridge at sunrise (which means a ride in September or early October). Not many of us will have done that, and I'm guessing that if we were to get the timing right, not many of us would forget it.

So I'd figure on 50 making the trip up if the price is reasonable.

Take your point on the train, but I'm not entirely ruling out hitting the jackpot and getting a special. The CTC did it a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
M

mike e

Marinyork,

A provisional route - Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Humber Bridge, Hull and finishing at Spurn Point.

Simon,

Do you have approximate sunrise times, I rode a couple of years back from Sheffield to Hessle via Doncaster and it only took me just short of 4 hours. Doncaster is closer but also with a large group it would take longer. What is the moving average on the FNRttC rides? Doncaster to the Humber Bridge is approx 40 miles but could be extended.

OP
OP
M

mike e

Just been talking to the landlady of the pub at Kilnsea near Spurn Point and final destination catering may be somewhat problematic, if we can count on Hull been the coast (it's on an estuary which leads to the sea) that may be a more viable option, it would also lend itself well to the return journey down south, and the catering, and the fact I'm from Hull so it seems quite apt, and I quite like the title "To Hull and Back" which has it's London links (mainly in Peckham!)

This could also ammend the start point to Newark which is closer to London and still with a direct rail service at the same frequency as Doncaster.

A new route could be Newark, Lincoln, meander through Lincolnshire, still across the Humber Bridge (but this would now be towards the end of the ride, cue the Sunrise) and onto Hull's finest of full english breakfasts of which I hope there would be many options available.

Provisional distance - about 60 miles
Hills - not many in Lincolnshire!
Highlight - dawn crossing of the Humber Bridge & breakfast in Hull!!!

Thoughts and comments?

Radius

SHREDDER
Sounds interesting! Awaiting further news...

Danny

Legendary Member
I have heard many descriptions of Hull in my time, but "on the coast" is not one of them.

Why not ride to Scarborough, Filey or Bridlington from York which are all truly coastal?

OP
OP
M

mike e

Not sure if it would be relevant or have any influence on the date of this possible ride but the Tour Of Britain starts in Scunthorpe on Saturday 12th September 2009. A 22 mile ride from Hull, back across that bridge again!!!

www.tourofbritain.co.uk

OP
OP
M

mike e

Danny said:
I have heard many descriptions of Hull in my time, but "on the coast" is not one of them.

Why not ride to Scarborough, Filey or Bridlington from York which are all truly coastal?

Technically you make a valid point, but the train service from London to York is not as frequent and the riding across the Humber Bridge now appears to the highlight of this ride.

You still finish near some water and the ride is now billed as "To Hull and Back" and not FNRttC (Northern Edition). Finishing at the coast is nice but if we were to be treated to a sunrise anywhere near as nice as the posted photo's earlier I'm sure that would more than make up for it!!

Top Bottom