To Hull and Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
If you look on this site it will give you sunrise times and for mid September its about 06:40:-

http://www.britishinformation.com/i...XJ5d2VhdGhlci5jby51ay9zdW4vdWttYXAucGhw&a=614

So by my calculations if you do set off from Newark, it would be about 50 miles (at a guess) before you hit the bridge, assuming Hull is 10 from the bridge but I think it is lot less than that (Too tired to check). At approx 14mph that would be roughly 3 1/2 hours ride, with maybe an hour of light before sunrise, at least a couple of hours of the ride would be in the dark. Start time in Newark would have to be about 03:10. Is the ride feasable just to see Sunrise?

Not sure if the times on the website are GMT or BST, but that would only change things by an hour

Then another problem, it may be overcast that day and be unable to see anything.

OP
OP
M

mike e

The riding in the dark is partly the point of the ride and there are a handful of people on here who have had a go at it!! I'm guessing the pace would be slower with a large group and somewhere a halfway stop would have to be factored in which again would add time.

As for the poor visibility you need to ride a FNRttC which are (nearly) always blessed with spectacular dawn sunrise's, however that's down south and we are up here in the north so I take your point!

TimO

Guru
Just thought I'd pop into the thread to express my interest. It certainly sounds like an interesting idea, although the logistics of getting a significant number of riders there and back would be interesting. This obviously assumes a significant number of the FNRttCers would want to do it, since there is a very large South-East contingent on those rides.

OP
OP
M

mike e

I'm going to talk to customer relations at NXEC tomorrow to seek their views on moving people and bikes en masse from London up north.

redjedi

Über Member
I could be tempted into this. My Mum and Grandparents live in Lincoln and I'm sure they would be happy to see me at a different time of the year except Christmas ;)

And although it may be difficult for us southerners to get there, it would open up a night ride option to the ones who have trouble making it to London for the FNRttC.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
redjedi said:
I could be tempted into this. My Mum and Grandparents live in Lincoln and I'm sure they would be happy to see me at a different time of the year except Christmas ;)

And although it may be difficult for us southerners to get there, it would open up a night ride option to the ones who have trouble making it to London for the FNRttC.

good point and don't forget the ride there and back option:biggrin:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Interested. Very interested, sounds like it could be truly amazing. As for when, please, please, please not on 25 September (prior engagement in SW9 which I really don't want to miss). I have a week off work arranged for w/c 12 October- probably a bit late, but (hopefully) I'll be able to move it if need be.

The coach thing Simon suggested might be a good alternative for the train- apart from anything else, it could look after those affected by any terminal mechanical problems without the need for taxis etc, like a very big team car. Mobile cafe stop even?

MacB

2 x hire vans/trucks, 2 volunteer drivers, some careful bike loading, 20 per van, one coach.......just thinking

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If i'm off work I'd certainly consider joining in at some point. Living north east of Hull (on the coast ;)) I may not do all the route, but join part way.

OP
OP
M

mike e

No idea on costings for coach hire (& driver). Van, truck hire is not too bad. I hired a 7.5 tonne truck last year to help move a friend, can be driven on a car licence up to a certain year of test passed, you could get a hell of a lot of bikes in one! carefully packed of course.

My average cost of train travel to London and back is approx £25, multiply by 50 just as a rough idea = £1250.00. I dare say you could get a lot of coach and truck for that?

DaveJ

Über Member
I wonder whether BikeExpress would be interested? Their calender finishes at the end of September, and they've got racks to carry lots of bikes.

I've never travelled with them though. There must be people here who have though.

Dave

MacB

Davywalnuts said:
google maps is saying about 210 miles to cycle back from Hull.. Ill be up for that..

I just plugged that distance into my, newly created, 'DavyW Poop Stop Calculator'. Got an error message back saying no result as it exceeded the maximum calculation parameters in Excel:biggrin:

Top Bottom