To Hull and Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Just a word of warning regarding Hull Trains. They seem to be cancelling a service or two most days due to reliability problems with their fleet :laugh:
I'd be asking the question of what happens should the train be cancelled for any reason, but probably wait to ask until they come back with availability :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
mike e said:
I'm just reading into these posts in more detail. Would the hire train not take the bikes? can they not use full guard / luggage carriages? how did the CTC special transport their bikes?
the hire train would take the bikes.

This is definitely a 2010 option. The train companies have to give 12 weeks notice of any train movements. I've not heard from Dave Holladay of the CTC, but will chase....

to give you an idea, though - the guide price on the train hire is £19,000. That's a lorra lorra cyclists. 200 would be the beginning. The cyclist's special to Rugby in 2005 took 400 with people turned away.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
sticky sherbert said:
And most importantly, on Cleethorpes front you can get knickers in an egg for 50p
What more could anyone want.
Sorry, but you simply can't just leave it at that. I, and countless others, demand a full explanation!

Mike - I think you're right about Cleethorpes. I'd mistakenly thought that Grimsby was the terminus. However - using a rail terminus substantially increases the cost of the rail hire because (I think I have this right) it takes two to tango a train round the sidings. So the merit of having the London pick-up at Olympia or Finsbury Park is that the train comes down from Crewe (!) and scoots round west London without reversing.

(I'm sure you're all fascinated by this stuff...)

Looking at the timings I think the ride has to be in June 2010. York - midnight - stop for refreshments 3.00 - Humber Bridge 4.30 at sunrise - Cleethorpes 7.00

OP
OP
M

mike e

I think now is the time to "park" this idea and resurrect it next year, it's great that it has generated so much interest and I am sure we can pull this off one way or another.

Thanks everyone for ideas and enthusiasm, watch this space in 2010!!

sticky sherbert

dellzeqq said:
Sorry, but you simply can't just leave it at that. I, and countless others, demand a full explanation!

A pair of skimpy Knickers in an egg from a vending machine, I may be wrong about the price and have not been tempted to purchase but they are usually there.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
mike e said:
I think now is the time to "park" this idea and resurrect it next year, it's great that it has generated so much interest and I am sure we can pull this off one way or another.

I'd certainly like it to be on the 2010 FNRttC calendar...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
sticky sherbert said:
A pair of skimpy Knickers in an egg from a vending machine, I may be wrong about the price and have not been tempted to purchase but they are usually there.

Not seen the ones in question, but seen them at other resorts for twice the price £1 :sad:
Advertised - Knickers for a knicker
or mens version - Pouches for a Pound :ohmy:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
mike e said:

It's only thirteen months....not that I'm counting or anything :sad: It'll be worth the wait, I'm sure.

Top Bottom