To Hull and Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There was a re-run of the 1955 Cyclists' Special in 2005 - from Clapham Junction to Rugby. I've e-mailed Dave Holladay to find out how he did it.

Sunday 8 May: CTC Anniversary of the Rail Excursions which took place in 1955/56 from London to the Midlands. On Sunday 8th May a specially chartered train will go early morning from Clapham Junction through to Watford Junction to the Midlands, to Rugby. Rides in the area will then be led by local DA people.
CTC Rail Consultant Dave Holladay, has aimed to restage the rides. It has not been found possible to negotiate for a steam excursion but a special modern loco will haul carriages for up to 400 passengers and bicycles. Cost will be around £30 per ticket. A Food pack can be ordered (in advance).
NB. Priority will be given to anybody who may have travelled on the original rail excursions in 1955/56. However if you weren't there don't delay joining this special Cyclists' Special Excursion on 8th May.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
MacBludgeon said:
I just plugged that distance into my, newly created, 'DavyW Poop Stop Calculator'. Got an error message back saying no result as it exceeded the maximum calculation parameters in Excel:biggrin:
Did you hit the button marked 'Refresh with Kebab'?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
dellzeqq said:
Did you hit the button marked 'Refresh with Kebab'?

this was the sans kebab version, to include kebab, and chilli sauce, as a parameter I may need to borrow a Cray computer.

Have been looking to see if there is a commode style bike setup. Bit of a bigger cutaway in the saddle with a tube leading down to the back, disguised as a mudguard. A trail that you could follow just by nose alone.

OP
OP
M

mike e

I have spoke to NXEC group travel who are quoting the company issue 5 bikes per train. I need to speak to someone in customer relations and use all of my charm! don't hold your breath's!!!

It might be as well to go with Davywalnut's idea to cycle the whole hog there and back, alternatively tip up at the truck park in Peckham and jump in the back of Denzil's arctic!!

Out of interest did anyone travel on either of the cyclist special?

MacB

mike e said:
I have spoke to NXEC group travel who are quoting the company issue 5 bikes per train. I need to speak to someone in customer relations and use all of my charm! don't hold your breath's!!!

It might be as well to go with Davywalnut's idea to cycle the whole hog there and back, alternatively tip up at the truck park in Peckham and jump in the back of Denzil's arctic!!

Out of interest did anyone travel on either of the cyclist special?

Mike, I'd seriously think one large truck and coach, both with drivers, would work out cheaper and more convenient than public transport. Pile of el cheapo duvets to wrap the bikes and then pack them tight. You could should be able to look at 50 people and bikes in this combo. The other plus is that you're not then limited to a rail station as a start/finish point for the main ride.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hahaha! I dont remember saying there and back! Am not thats nuts! And the guarantee of fresh kebab along the route, am sure cant be guaranteed! Personally I would probably see friends oop north, near Leeds. But cycling back, yes, am up for that!

Ok - I have caught up now - you're right Al 'error message'.:rolleyes: That was the reason for my initial exclamation. However, after intense research I feel there might be a compromise in the offing:

bike-shit_thumb.jpg

MacB

Aperitif said:
Ok - I have caught up now - you're right Al 'error message'.:rolleyes: That was the reason for my initial exclamation. However, after intense research I feel there might be a compromise in the offing:

bike-shit_thumb.jpg

like it

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
a) this outfit
http://www.statesmanrail.com/train_hire.html
will run a special for us, taking us to York from Kensington Olympia (ther might be pick-ups at, say, Stevenage or Peterborough) and then collecting us from Hull. More expensive, but fun. It would be next year, because the minimum notice to the network is 12 weeks.
:biggrin: Hull Trains are giving the matter some thought.
c) Alternatively we could hire a truck to carry the bikes and make a group booking on National Express. I'll have a word with the truck afficionados on this very site.....
I have my doubts about a three hour coach journey before and after the ride. I think we'd stiffen up a bit.

Tim Hall

Option A looks amazing.

Can I be Richard Hannay?

I see it seats upto 600. You're going to need a bigger boat more soup bowls.

Top Bottom