To Hull and Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
dellzeqq said:
a) this outfit
http://www.statesmanrail.com/train_hire.html
will run a special for us, taking us to York from Kensington Olympia (ther might be pick-ups at, say, Stevenage or Peterborough) and then collecting us from Hull. More expensive, but fun. It would be next year, because the minimum notice to the network is 12 weeks.
:tongue: Hull Trains are giving the matter some thought.
c) Alternatively we could hire a truck to carry the bikes and make a group booking on National Express. I'll have a word with the truck afficionados on this very site.....
I have my doubts about a three hour coach journey before and after the ride. I think we'd stiffen up a bit.

That train sounds brilliant. Expensive, yes, but we're worth it :tongue: Worth doing it next year for that...But there's more investigation about the various options to do beforehand, of course.
Wouldn't National Express make rather a lot of stops?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
StuAff said:
Wouldn't National Express make rather a lot of stops?
I'm thinking of the train rather than the coach.

I've tapped up our haulage guru and he suggests talking to a removal firm for the transport of the bikes if we have over 50 and a 7.5 tonne self-drive if we have under 50. Which then begs the question.....

If we did this next year I'd definitely be looking for many more than 50 riders. The hire train starts kicking in when we get to 200.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Davywalnuts said:
A close friend of mine runs a removal firm, I can find out more if you want?
that's very kind of you.

We'd need to load up very close to Kings Cross on a Friday night to get to York at 11.30 p.m. Return from Hull or Grimsby, loading up around 8 (before breakfast) and unloading close to Kings Cross 12.30.

You'll appreciate that the fly in the ointment is that the removal van will take a good deal longer to get to York than the train - so the riders will have a deal of waiting around to do at one end or the other.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
dellzeqq said:
that's very kind of you.

We'd need to load up very close to Kings Cross on a Friday night to get to York at 11.30 p.m. Return from Hull or Grimsby, loading up around 8 (before breakfast) and unloading close to Kings Cross 12.30.

You'll appreciate that the fly in the ointment is that the removal van will take a good deal longer to get to York than the train - so the riders will have a deal of waiting around to do at one end or the other.

if you're going this far then include a meal as well. People arrive 2 hrs before train, lorry departs, Dell hosts fine dinner, then get train.

redjedi

Über Member
dellzeqq said:
so the riders will have a deal of waiting around to do at one end or the other.

Now that's a problem.

Hanging around is fine, but hanging around in lycra without a bike in sight :biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
absolutely. Which is why the rail/rail idea is worth pursuing even though, on the face of it, it looks a bit far-fetched. Nothing back from Hull Rail, Grand Central or National Express yet.

OP
OP
M

mike e

Simon,

Excellent work on the train hire option, that looks like a real potential to have an annual FNRttC of epic proportions. Obviously the ride would have to meet the occasion and no doubt much planning with the movement of upwards of 200+ cycles through the night. I spoke to National Express Group Travel who were non forthcoming in accomadating huge numbers of cyclists, I will still contact their customer relations people. Hull Trains runs 5 or 6 daily direct services between Hull and Kings Cross, however they use 4 or 5 carriage trains with very limited luggage space for bikes, personally I think they would struggle with more than 10 bikes! Whether they could run a special remains to be seen, I suppose it's worth asking?

Grand Central operate from the North East (Sunderland) direct to Kings Cross but there last train leaves London KX at about 5pm arriving into York at about 7pm,a little early for the traditional midnight departure. Thequestion could be asked again as to a special? They do use a more conventional train with a proper luggage space.

I spoke to a coach firm and got quoted a price of £1400 for a 52 seat coach, with driver and including overnight accomadation for said driver. This was for a Hull to London and return trip, been a Hull based company, so it was just to get a rough idea, there is then the issue of transporting bikes as well, some coaches have huge luggage space under the seating space but probably not for 50 odd bikes. So some additional means of moving the bikes as well. Based on the quote, which may be cheaper from London to Hull and return it works out at about £27 each, if you were to factor in £10 each max to hire a 7.5 tonne truck and fuel etc it's not a bad price overall but it is a long journey to make.

Your rail hire option begins to look more appealing. Far-fetched idea in 2009 becomes reality in 2010?. Possible drawback could be huge FNRttC numbers after everyone gets a taste of it??

OP
OP
M

mike e

A new and improved route suggestion??

York, new start point, beautiful city, across towards Hull, then over the Humber Bridge and onto Cleethorpes which is a proper northern seaside town and is on the coast. It has a rail terminus and many traditional cafes were we can enjoy our full english breakfasts. This possible ammendment would mean altering the title of the ride to a degree but we will still pass near to Hull to give everyone a feel of this truly great city!!

Approx distance 60 miles and not massively hilly. I also have another thought regarding mass catering in the middle of the night that could involve the use on the work canteen where I work, which has a nightshift so could be a possibility??

OP
OP
M

mike e

I'm just reading into these posts in more detail. Would the hire train not take the bikes? can they not use full guard / luggage carriages? how did the CTC special transport their bikes?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
however (I have to get there), whenever (it is to happen), whatever (the route is), put my name down!

tempting to consider a FNRdtC from Berwick to the Toon? Must surely be downhill all the way!

and if 2010 I may even cycle home....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I know someone whose business is travel/transport logistics for rock band tours, is it worth my asking them their take on it?

Top Bottom