Tour de France 2015 - may contain nuts and SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Contador has said he's tired from the Giro so I'm calling büllshít on that right now. He'll be as ready as anyone.

Aye, it's hard to tell what to expect from Contador. He claims he feels a bit poorly or is suddenly struck quadriplegic or something then comes out and bosses the race. Alternatively, he says he's feeling great, as he did before the Giro, then comes out and bosses the race.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say he'll probably boss the race.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Oh I broke my leg in the Tour, now watch me smash the Vuelta..

Adam4868

Guru
With froome saying,"I'm not quite at my best" it looks like he's itching for it ! If everything goes to plan(which is a big ask !) I think he'll take it.

RobNewcastle

I'm keeping my counsel on Quintana until after this weekend and his tilt at Route du Sud. Contador has said he's tired from the Giro so I'm calling büllshít on that right now. He'll be as ready as anyone. Froome showed a glimpse of his immense form at the Dauphine and if he times his peak right he'll be unbeatable I think. As for the defending champion, I struggle to get past the fact he won last year's edition (worthy as he was) with his strongest rivals missing. Same for the Giro the year before. Against Quinno, Conno and Froomo I would be surprised to see him make the podium.

Nibali is a pure racer isn't he and I love the way he carves out opportunities a bit like Contador. He looked fantastic on the climbs in the tour last year but then as you mention he didn't have any of the main contenders to go up against. If he drops any of the top 3 on an HC climb putting time into them in the tour this year then he'll confirm himself as pure quality. I just don't think he can respond to a viscious attack form the main 3. Agree we can completely disregard any comments from Contador about fatigue, ha

Watching G Thomas climbing in the tour de Suiss yesterday makes you think I bet there's a few GC contenders who'd like to have him riding for them. He's a massive factor for the TTT, cobbles and clearly now the climbs. I can see him being right up there on some of the big climbs with Poels and Porte for Sky which would be huge for Froome.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Watching G Thomas climbing in the tour de Suiss yesterday makes you think I bet there's a few GC contenders who'd like to have him riding for them. He's a massive factor for the TTT, cobbles and clearly now the climbs. I can see him being right up there on some of the big climbs with Poels and Porte for Sky which would be huge for Froome.

Poels and Thomas are a fearsome couple of domestiques to have on your side.

Porte though... It seems really odd that he won't be racing at all before the Tour. Nieve hasn't raced since the Giro either but he's in the Tour de Slovenie this week.

RobNewcastle

Poels and Thomas are a fearsome couple of domestiques to have on your side.

Porte though... It seems really odd that he won't be racing at all before the Tour. Nieve hasn't raced since the Giro either but he's in the Tour de Slovenie this week.

I agree you would've thought he'd be over his knocks enoug by now to get back to some racing. I still think he'll end up going to the tour though. Niece or Sergio Henao are other great options for the super steep stuff at the tour.

Telegraph cycling podcast which I always think is a great listen had Luke Rowe down as a highly likely member of the tour team (maybe before he became ill in the Dauphine however).

dirty bertie says hes feeling tired , yeah im sure we all believe him .
froome looking strong and could hit peak form at the right time and would be difficult to beat .
im curious as to why quintana has kept a low profile , would like to see him go head to head with froome and ( untired ) bertie.

Hont

Guru
If everyone stays upright I can't see beyond a top four of Froome, Quintana, Nibali and Contador. But that's a big "if" as a) there are cobbles b) it's the Tour. Quintana must be relieved that there are no TTs involving mountain descents, though ;-).

Last time Contador tried the Giro/Tour double he was off the pace, so if he does pull it off I think we can safely assume he's found a new steak supplier.

Interesting that nobody has mentioned Pinot. Podium last year and impressive form in the Tour de Suisse. One wet downhill, though, and he's probably scuppered.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Interesting that nobody has mentioned Pinot. Podium last year and impressive form in the Tour de Suisse. One wet downhill, though, and he's probably scuppered.

He's been mentioned, just not in this thread. He's looking in great shape in Switzerland - convincing win on yesterday's stage. I suspect his biggest problem won't be wet descents, though, it'll be the team time trial - signing Steve Morabito may not be enough to make up for the team's deficiencies in that department.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think, as Richard Strauss once said of himself re composers :whistle:, that Pinot and Tejay are in the first rank of the second rank. Time is on their side though.

Top Bottom