Tour of Britain 2014...on my doorstep (may contain SPOILERS)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Oh booohoooo tour of britain not coming to my country, house, garden, back yard..........how will i cope

Oh i forgot its only 2miles up the road to the top of the tumble for me, so thats stage 3 sorted
Is the Tumble the 6-10km of steady torture I think it is, if that's the one it will make a classic mountain finish. All that open ground when you get into the last 2km, it will be manic up there. All presuming I have the right climb in mind, of course!

Fantastic that I'll be working on the day it comes to Bristol, thanks for that.

Why not have all the weekend stages in London for a change?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Is the Tumble the 6-10km of steady torture I think it is, if that's the one it will make a classic mountain finish. All that open ground when you get into the last 2km, it will be manic up there. All presuming I have the right climb in mind, of course!
Thats the baby - its not a nice climb

They seem to fail to make a feature of the weekend stages, think of all of the great destinations they could draw a weekend crowd to, why does it have to be London every time?

London Olympics 2012, the yearly RideLondon Classic, 2013 TofB, the 2014 TofB, two Guildford stages in the TofB in 12 and 13. Probably a lot more. Yorkshire I can understand, or maybe they should have forgotten Yorkshire for a Grand Depart and had London/SE instead? As we all know, Box Hill is the only climb in the country...

I don't think I have the patience for another ceremonial bore-fest around central London streets.

jowwy

London Olympics 2012, the yearly RideLondon Classic, 2013 TofB, the 2014 TofB, two Guildford stages in the TofB in 12 and 13. Probably a lot more. Yorkshire I can understand, or maybe they should have forgotten Yorkshire for a Grand Depart and had London/SE instead? As we all know, Box Hill is the only climb in the country...

I don't think I have the patience for another ceremonial bore-fest around central London streets.
and were does the tour de france finish every year??? oh thats right, its right in the capital of france, a placed called PARIS......do they complain about NO, do the embrace it YES

typical brits moaning about nothing.....when it becomes a grand tour, which i doubt it will, i'm pretty sure they will try and cover more areas of britain. Until then, places are hand picked based on whether the local authorities can afford to put the race on or not

jowwy

Thanks Jowwy, I didn't know that...I thought the Champs Eleysee was in Birmingham.

:thumbsup:
no problems Monsiuer- i just get fed up of all the complaining, we lost the tour of britain for 5yrs due to no sponsorship etc etc. Now we got it back all people want to do is complain cause its not going past their back gate or its not stopping at my house for a coffee brigade............just enjoy it

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I quite fancy a coffee brigade too. Any idea where I can get one?

oldroadman

Veteran
no problems Monsiuer- i just get fed up of all the complaining, we lost the tour of britain for 5yrs due to no sponsorship etc etc. Now we got it back all people want to do is complain cause its not going past their back gate or its not stopping at my house for a coffee brigade............just enjoy it
Couldn't agree more. 10 years ago there was not much. Then some brave and far sighted people put their money on the line and ACHIEVED. Which is more than "glass half empty" moaners ever did. Get a grip! Years ago riders ached for a race of this quality in GB, but had to go abroad to be ignored by the media!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Right past the end of my road, on its way up the Nashleigh Hill KoM. Let's just hope they resurface the stretch from Ashley Green to Berko. There are potholes the size of tabletops down there.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Advance notices of road closures went up at the weekend. :hyper:

Local village hall has notices up 'come and watch here'

(Last year I was extremely grateful for the village folks at Crook, who were serving tea and cakes in their village hall, and hence also providing a place to wait out of the p***ing rain.

'pouring', obviously :tongue:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Advance notices of road closures went up at the weekend. :hyper:

Local village hall has notices up 'come and watch here'

(Last year I was extremely grateful for the village folks at Crook, who were serving tea and cakes in their village hall, and hence also providing a place to wait out of the p***ing rain.

'pouring', obviously :tongue:
Does it say how long the roads are closed? Still dithering on where to watch and so far it looks as though I can have the day off!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Does it say how long the roads are closed? Still dithering on where to watch and so far it looks as though I can have the day off!
The ones in Charfield (and up on the top, near Nympsfield) say 1 pm to 2.30 pm, I think (from memory!). If it's critical I'll wander down the road later and check. We cycled up to Nympsfield from Nailsworth yesterday, and saw no signs on that bit of road, so I assume they're taking the B4066 from Stroud?

Last year they published timings, but they ran a little late (understandable in that case as they had cycled through the Lake District in torrential rain!).

I'm still debating too, but I'm a bit behind with work and want to take a day off to go and see the tall ships in London this weekend/next week as well! (it would help if I stopped logging on to CycleChat!). Hoping I might get a few bidons chucked in my garden!

Top Bottom