Tricky neighbour situation, what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I'm glad you problem has been resolved. Neighbour issues frequently end in tears.
On the tumble dryer thing, we had the inflammable model and have had the bits replaced. The chaps who sorted it said that there is up to a four year waiting list of jobs to be completed!
Yes I agree and really don`t want neighbour problems, I`ve had enough of that in the past.

The tumble dryer thing is naughty, just out of interest, what did they change on it? Makes no odds to me as I`ve just bought a lovely shiny Miele, but I`m curious

Glad you are sorted

We had an elderly neighbour that we used to run chores for.

She had an ancient tumble dryer, which as it worked she refused to get rid of. IT used to get hot and you could smell burning. We replaced the fuse with a duff one, and told her it wasn't worth repairing, but another neighbour replaced the fuse for her!

In the end we had a word with the local Fire Prevention Team. As they "were in the area, making free safety checks on houses" they had a quick look, fitted a couple of fire alarms (free of charge!) and then "discovered" the tumble dryer whilst testing.

The Fire Brigade telling her it was dangerous was all that was needed.

I was going to suggest that you could arrange a visit where they "discover" the unsafe appliance next door?

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 4344863, member: 9609"]Indeed, but high performance cars are even more lethal when driven by people who want to drive fast - which is quite often the type of person who buys and owns them.[/QUOTE]
Total bollocks

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yes I agree and really don`t want neighbour problems, I`ve had enough of that in the past.

The tumble dryer thing is naughty, just out of interest, what did they change on it? Makes no odds to me as I`ve just bought a lovely shiny Miele, but I`m curious
dsc_0561-jpg.133388

This bit. It's the entire back plate. I think it is the white grommit thingie that lets fluff/dust though (but I might be wrong on that)
They asked us to keep the old one for a month, then bin it. No idea why though.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
dsc_0561-jpg.133388

This bit. It's the entire back plate. I think it is the white grommit thingie that lets fluff/dust though (but I might be wrong on that)
They asked us to keep the old one for a month, then bin it. No idea why though.

Same here, mine was done on Friday. He took the whole machine apart, cleaned it and reassembled it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You seriously think that what you did was acceptable?

If the appliance was genuinely dangerous and likely to catch fire, then almost any subterfuge is justified.
Of course, if it's just some nonsense based on ignorance, and the thing wasn't dangerous at all, then not so justified.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
And you'd rely on some random neighbour to decide that one? God save us from interfering busybodies nextdoor.

Well I do see your point, but it is a dilemma. I have had to make executive decisions, well, lie basically, to look after my elderly Dad. I'm not at all happy doing it, but it's necessary and my duty. That said, I would hate to be patronised / bullshitted by some do-gooder, especially an ill-informed one. That's the problem "I know best" but someone else is an "interfering busybody".

My Dad's a hoarder rather like the ones you see on documentaries where the council come round to complain. I tend to gather up stuff from his house and take it away to dump. He was temporarily cross with me for dumping 11 estate car loads of (his) rubbish at one point - and by "rubbish" I do mean rubbish not merely his stuff. But this does now mean you can actually get in to the rooms in his house.

vickster

Legendary Member
But that's your dad, not a random neighbour so rather different. As you say you have a duty of care to him

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I agree with Vickster; a relative is a different matter. A know-all neighbour, who decides one of your appliances is dangerous and also 'diagnoses' you as too gaga to be reasoned with or to take advice, comes into your house and tampers with the appliance without your knowledge - this is not an acceptable or civilised way to deal with things.
Hmmm. Well, that's one way to look at it I suppose. Quite a lot of that seems to me to be inflammatory additions.

How about:

A neighbour, who can see one of your appliances is dangerous and knows you well enough to know you'll ignore sensible advice uses a bit of subterfuge to persuade you into taking a course of action that massively reduces your chances of dying in a house fire.

That strikes me as closer to the situation as originally described...

She had an ancient tumble dryer, which she refused to get rid of. It used to get hot and you could smell burning.

...and also indicative of a caring and decent neighbour, who deserves better than to be sneeringly dismissed as a 'know-all', behaving in an 'unacceptable and uncivilised' way.

I would do the same for Edna over the road like a shot if the situation arose. Would that more people didn't assume their 'duty of care' applied only to their immediate family.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I couldn't disagree more. What should have been done was what was eventually done - let the fire brigade deal with the situation, if there really was one. It all sounds a bit made-up to me anyway.
What, those 'know-all' firemen? Why can't a neighbour assess that a drier that's giving off a smell of burning is unsafe? Do you need a uniform or something?

Indeed. As it is, the alleged actions could have amounted to criminal damage.
Taking out a fuse is 'criminal damage'?

What, those 'know-all' firemen? Why can't a neighbour assess that a drier that's giving off a smell of burning is unsafe? Do you need a uniform or something?

Taking out a fuse is 'criminal damage'?

Leave it there, I am quite happy, so were her family

Her family were also of the opinion it was dangerous(also without uniforms or the formal qualifications)

They had been trying to get her to use a new machine for some time unsuccessfully, this was how we had agreed to push the issue

There is apparently a closed agenda and we are very, very naughty for not agreeing with it

But that's your dad, not a random neighbour so rather different. As you say you have a duty of care to him

The "random neighbour" is TMN's misinterpretation

The reality was that we ran errands, did basic bits around the house and all of this was with the full knowledge of her family, this incident was after discussion, and with their consent following a weekend visit where they also had tried to get rid of the dryer for a new one because it was dangerous

Top Bottom