Trip report from a reborn artic driver.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have a couple of friends who have filled all the options on their driving licences, just to have them. I believe the 'steam roller' proficiency was tags trickiest to get.

Now that's a great aspiration but I can think of better things to squander spend my money on.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Oddly, what started as a whim has ended up with him joining the TA and driving lorries in hot places for them, which in turn was a trigger to get much fitter and run marathons. He just re-upped with the TA, which at the wrong side of 40 involved him getting super fit because by all accounts they put every block in his way they could think of, and is really enjoying himself. Strange how things turn out.

ScotiaLass

Guru
My dad drove lorries for years.
He used to run to the ports a lot with whiskey and he often had 4am starts.
When I was young I'd be in bed when he got home (if he wasn't on an overnighter) and still be in bed when he left.
My mum says I used to ask her 'When is the man coming back?' :whistle:
He loved the freedom of driving and all the places he used to get to see but his favourite run was always up to the Highlands.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
You can't be a real trucker. That wasn't a real truckers lunch.
You didn't see the sandwich!

th

The agency are just off the phone offering me a shift this morning, but it's outwith sensible commuting distance. 50 miles away in Bellshill, so about 1.5 hours driving at this time of the morning, not to mention about £15 worth of petrol by the time I get home. No thanks.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
You didn't see the sandwich!

th

The agency are just off the phone offering me a shift this morning, but it's outwith sensible commuting distance. 50 miles away in Bellshill, so about 1.5 hours driving at this time of the morning, not to mention about £15 worth of petrol by the time I get home. No thanks.

I had one fairly similar to that on Saturday at the top of the horseshoe Pass. Very nice too!

Did you not get stuck in the roadworks in Hattersley?
No I'd no problems at all. Went over Woodhead about 8ish I'd guess, but I came back M1/62 so I'd avoid the roadworks at Denton.

Same again today, flew over the pass this morning but i'll go round the motorways tonight.

I can't even reverse the camping trailer. I just get out, take it off and turn it around. Reversing one is like driving whilst sitting backwards and looking in a mirror.

D

Deleted member 26715

I never renewed either my LGV & PCV when I reached 50 as

a) I was skint at the time & couldn't afford/justify the medical expense
b) never thought I would use them again

Now 4 years later on I maybe could do with them, would I have to retest or can I just reapply?

Alan...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I think it would mean a re-test, which now also means doing your CPC.. If you had a class 1 HGV you would need to pass class 2 before being allowed to sit class 1. It's an expensive business if you are financing it yourself; and all for very modest pay these days. In this area, the going rate for a class 1 driver on day shift is about £7.50 to £8.50 per hour, and most companies will deduct 45 minutes pay for your break!

No retest needed, just get the relevant forms from www.gov.uk/dvlaforms and have the entitlements put back on your licence. If he already had Class 1 (from before about 1996 I think) he'll have grandfather rights and will be entitled to drive Class 2 & 3 automatically.

GC

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
No retest needed, just get the relevant forms from www.gov.uk/dvlaforms and have the entitlements put back on your licence. If he already had Class 1 (from before about 1996 I think) he'll have grandfather rights and will be entitled to drive Class 2 & 3 automatically.

GC
That's good news, I always thought you just lost your entitlement if they expired and weren't renewed. Nice to know for the future.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That's good news, I always thought you just lost your entitlement if they expired and weren't renewed. Nice to know for the future.

I had to check for myself recently as I was under the same impression. Here's the reply from DVLA:

Dear Mr Glasgowcyclist

Thank you for your email received on 23/6/14.
If you did not renew your CE entitlement previously, it would have been removed from your driving licence. If you wish to renew your CE entitlement you will need to obtain forms D2 and D4 which are available from the DVLA form ordering service at
www.gov.uk/dvlaforms

No fee is required.

Please send your application to:
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BR

You must return your licence with your application, however, if you need to use it in the near future for Driver Training, we recommend that you do not include it with your application. When you receive your new licence you must send your old licence (both parts) to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1ZW.

We aim to deliver your licence within three weeks, from receipt of your application. It may take longer if we have to check your medical or personal details.

GC

Top Bottom