UK Police – Dereliction of Duty

Are you getting fair treatment from the Police when making complaints about unsafe driver behaviour?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What? didn't you see me checking the bar end mirror, it is in the video, what was I meant to do? cycle in the door zone? Was I to assume the driver was incapable of driving safely? Seeing the car behind me I naturally thought he was warning someone of something other than his inabilities. You are not meant to sound your horn and then create the danger. Seriously, what is your problem with being able to understand the situation?
and yet again do you think it is right that the Police prefer trivial wastes of time in shops verses public safety?

I really dont see the point in people postings things like this if they are not going to respect other People's opinions.

I disagree with you as do other people on here. Thats life.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can I take it you don't work in a shop. The local police force will only attend if injury is caused by the shoplifter(s). Many of whom seem to know this. Or there has been theft of medication and the shoplifter(s) caught.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Like it or not @thevexe @thevet OP; we are now in a whole new world of Policing. Despite Government propoganda to the contrary, we all know that Officer numbers have been slashed to the core, and the workload of those remaining has increased beyond all recognition. Close passes by car drivers might be a big deal to cyclists, but in the grand scheme of things the Police have much more on their plate. In an ideal world they would have the time and resources to do what you want them to do, but it isn't going to happen. The roads have IMHO become a much more dangerous place to be in recent years, from lack of maintenance to lack of Policing. We just have to live with it, or stop using them. Not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.

OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
Like it or not @thevexe @thevet OP; we are now in a whole new world of Policing. Despite Government propoganda to the contrary, we all know that Officer numbers have been slashed to the core, and the workload of those remaining has increased beyond all recognition. Close passes by car drivers might be a big deal to cyclists, but in the grand scheme of things the Police have much more on their plate. In an ideal world they would have the time and resources to do what you want them to do, but it isn't going to happen. The roads have IMHO become a much more dangerous place to be in recent years, from lack of maintenance to lack of Policing. We just have to live with it, or stop using them. Not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.
The thing is they did have the time to investigate this, they just did an appalling job, The Police had the time, you will often hear they don't, but that is just not true. There have been many time saving technologies introduced, hence they do have the time, and did give the time.

SeanM

What? didn't you see me checking the bar end mirror, it is in the video, what was I meant to do? cycle in the door zone? Was I to assume the driver was incapable of driving safely? Seeing the car behind me I naturally thought he was warning someone of something other than his inabilities. You are not meant to sound your horn and then create the danger. Seriously, what is your problem with being able to understand the situation?
and yet again do you think it is right that the Police prefer trivial wastes of time in shops verses public safety?

No i didn't actually see you check your mirror. (That tiny little thing attached to your bar)

I was actually on your side, meaning that if the car driver didn't see you turn your head, (it's a fair bet he has no clue that you have a mirror) he probably should have erred on the side of caution. No matter.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cams can't be used as evidence if it is t demonstrate distance or speed as they're not calibrated and wouldn't stand up in court.

This point has been repeated a few times in this thread, but it's not quite right.

Evidence is evidence.

A witness could give evidence, the witness is not calibrated or even an expert observer, but it's still valid evidence.

It comes down to what weight the magistrates or a jury attach to whatever evidence is put before them.

screenman

Legendary Member
Does anybody know the police numbers from say 1970 compared with today. Also with crime rates supposedly dropping have they got more work to do.

OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
No i didn't actually see you check your mirror. (That tiny little thing attached to your bar)

I was actually on your side, meaning that if the car driver didn't see you turn your head, (it's a fair bet he has no clue that you have a mirror) he probably should have erred on the side of caution. No matter.
Sorry, I though you were someone else

OP
OP
TheVexatiousLitigant

TheVexatiousLitigant

Über Member
Does anybody know the police numbers from say 1970 compared with today. Also with crime rates supposedly dropping have they got more work to do.
Police I.T. support back then was nothing compared to today, I am not sure the numbers would mean anything if we had them. A bit like comparing how long in takes to build a car by hand verses in a factory with robots

Top Bottom