UK SUV Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am not so sure saloons and estates are wider than their SUV comparables as some are claiming.

https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compare/

I suspect if you want an SUV that handles well you need a wider vehicle as a higher centre of gravity compromises handling. They might try to resolve it via fancy electronics and suspension, but the laws of physics are difficult to break. 🤔

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I am not so sure saloons and estates are wider than their SUV comparables as some are claiming.

https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compare/

I suspect if you want an SUV that handles well you need a wider vehicle as a higher centre of gravity compromises handling. They might try to resolve it via fancy electronics and suspension, but the laws of physics are difficult to break. 🤔

Depends on the model. Many SUVs aren't 'big' as you say.

MrsF's Qashqai replaced my saloon in the Nissan line up. My car is longer and heavier than the Qashqai - both same width though. The Qashqai is a few inches taller, that's it.

If I had the estate, the room inside would be miles more than the Qashqai - just I have a saloon, longer load area, but no height due to a 'boot'.

I'd recon a Pulsar (small/medium hatch) has just as much room as a Qashqai, and is lighter/smaller than the 'SUV'.

Very much depends on the car and it's design. SUV's generally are too big.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git

Interesting site that!

A full fat Range Rover is only just over 20cm wider than a 308. All other dimensions aren't too comparable

A 3 series tourer is nearly the same length (30cm shorter ) / width (22cm) as a RR

Gillstay

Über Member
Cars are 3D. Saloons have larger and larger width and length. SUVs have larger heights. We tested various cars and for similar space for our teenage kids in the back saloons were nearly 1m in length longer than the SUV.

SUVs have smaller footprint for comparable internal space . In terms of road space that’s a good thing.

The lady I bought my Berlingo off used to loan it off her Dad as her range rover was too small when they went on camping holidays.

icowden

Veteran
And yet people are out there on cycles, motorbikes and even horses.
Cyclists <20mph usually. Helmets advised as are gloves etc
Motorbikes up to 70mph. Helmets compulsory, leathers strongly recommended.
Horses up to 30mph but on roads, much, much slower (<10mph) unless pulling a member of the travelling community. Helmets compulsory for children, highly recommended for adults. Many adults also wear back protectors.

So all modes of transport have their protection based on risk.

Gillstay

Über Member
Cyclists <20mph usually. Helmets advised as are gloves etc
Motorbikes up to 70mph. Helmets compulsory, leathers strongly recommended.
Horses up to 30mph but on roads, much, much slower (<10mph) unless pulling a member of the travelling community. Helmets compulsory for children, highly recommended for adults. Many adults also wear back protectors.

So all modes of transport have their protection based on risk.

I may have missed a bit here, but I think as otherwise we would have the rules as in Germany where the most vulnerable get the most protection.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Had a little chuckle this morning in Heathrow business parking watching Mr. Fourbyfour try his vehicle in several parking spaces that he couldn't use because of all the other bloated vehicles...for all I know he may still be going round.
I slotted the C1 in the first spot he failed and hopped on the shuttle-bus....

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
And there was I, thinking that car parks were making their spaces smaller.

You are Mr Twit and I claim my £5

1000002742.jpg

Top Bottom