UK SUV Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Applies to "wealthy drivers" in SUV's / 4x4's but happens to include vehicles like a VW Passat estate or a Tesla model Y :rolleyes:

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Applies to "wealthy drivers" in SUV's / 4x4's but happens to include vehicles like a VW Passat estate or a Tesla model Y :rolleyes:

The press bulletin i saw last night said fully electric vehicles where exempt, and for other cars the charge applies once weight is over 1.6 tons.

Jody

Stubborn git
The press bulletin i saw last night said fully electric vehicles where exempt, and for other cars the charge applies once weight is over 1.6 tons.

Electric aside, the point is just weight is an odd thing to go after if targeting emissions.

A 1.4t passage estate is now within the higher charging bracket but an Impreza WRX is not. One does half the MPG (double the C02) of the other. So thr cleaner vehicle is penalised based on its curb weight.

Jody

Stubborn git

@icowden was correct that electric over 2 tonnes are charged. So the electric Model Y falls into the high pollution bracket but an Impreza WRX doesn't

lazybloke

@icowden was correct that electric over 2 tonnes are charged. So the electric Model Y falls into the high pollution bracket but an Impreza WRX doesn't
Imprezza's are a dying breed.

Clearly an anomaly to label evs as high polluting, assuming the measure is tailpipe emissions.

But maybe they have other criteria.

Large cars take up more space so cause more congestion and fill car parks inefficiently. I don't see any problem in encouraging people out of unnecessarily large & heavy cars.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Electric aside, the point is just weight is an odd thing to go after if targeting emissions.

A 1.4t passage estate is now within the higher charging bracket but an Impreza WRX is not. One does half the MPG (double the C02) of the other. So thr cleaner vehicle is penalised based on its curb weight.

A 2.0 TDI Passat weighs 1.475 Tonnes so not chargeable.
Wonder why a smaller engine weighs 300kg more. 🤔

Jody

Stubborn git
Imprezza's are a dying breed.

Clearly an anomaly to label evs as high polluting, assuming the measure is tailpipe emissions.

But maybe they have other criteria.

Large cars take up more space so cause more congestion and fill car parks inefficiently. I don't see any problem in encouraging people out of unnecessarily large & heavy cars.

A passat is a fairly run of the mill familly car. I wouldn't call it unnecessarily large or heavy.

Jody

Stubborn git
A 2.0 TDI Passat weighs 1.475 Tonnes so not chargeable.
Wonder why a smaller engine weighs 300kg more. 🤔

Because its a plug in hybrid 🙄

Lower emissions car that gets penalised beyond that of it's more polluting diesel cousin

Last edited:

markemark

Über Member
All this does is highlight the arbitrary nature of defining cars based on dimensions and weight. My EV would just scrape into the fail category. But that's life and democracy.

lazybloke

But a Model Y isn't and that's going to be penalised for being over 2 tonnes
My guess would be that unnecessarily heavy cars might also be unnecessarily large cars.

Large cars reduce the capacity of roads and car parks, resulting in more congestion (and indirectly, emissions) plus more land given over to tarmac and concrete.

Far better to encourage use of smaller cars. And fewer cars.

Jody

Stubborn git
My guess would be that unnecessarily heavy cars might also be unnecessarily large cars.

For comparison against a Ford Focus which is not an unnecessarily large car

focus.JPG

All this does is highlight the arbitrary nature of defining cars based on dimensions and weight. My EV would just scrape into the fail category. But that's life and democracy.
Yes, it's a fact of life that most traffic/road laws are arbitrary.

Speed limits? Stupid law -80 on a dry motorway is safer than 69 in snow!
Emissions? Stupid way to tax cars, emissions depend on the weight of your right foot.
Drink driving? Stupid law, blood alcohol levels are a terrible guide to safe driving.

Yup, let's scrap any rule with an arbitrary number in it. Just tell everyone to use Common Sense!

Last edited:
Top Bottom