UK SUV Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
I didn't think it particularly controversial to suggest correlation between size of cars and their weight.

Probably a lot more controversial to ignore weight, state one dimension of one vehicle and call that a "comparison".

Obviously a larger car is going to be heavier. Nothing controversial there.

Your point was unnecessarily heavy cars might be unnecessarily large, which is not the case. EV's are heavy even when mid sized. Comparison between a family 2 tonne electric car and a 1.3 tonne petrol. They are the same size.

My point is size is that size or weight doesn't define how much it pollutes. If were banning on based on geographical pollution levels, then an EV shouldn't ever come into the remit as there are no tail pipe emissions.

If it's for safety, it's fair to point a comparison between equally sized cars that are not being banned because they weigh less.

Like with the current Bully XL ban, in that you need many metrics to make a classification. You can't just class it solely on height, weight, muscle mass or head size but a combination of all. The more metrics you add, the less chance you have of catching something else that doesn't deserve to be banned.

Which goes back to the original question of "define an SUV" (as that's what everyone wants banned) and "define what it is you want banned". Is it emissions, noise, pedestrian safety, whole life environmental cost, fuel usage, how much floor space they cover etc

The powers that be have worked people's emotions up on this issue to the point where logic goes out of the window in favour of pitch forks.

Like with the current Bully XL ban, in that you need many metrics to make a classification. You can't just class it solely on height, weight, muscle mass or head size but a combination of all. The more metrics you add, the less chance you have of catching something else that doesn't deserve to be banned.

Bully XL dogs aren't banned.

... and meanwhile, innocent people are still being killed by aggressive dogs.

I wonder, could we learn from this ...

Jody

Stubborn git
If you got yours registered and chipped before the ban, and will have it neutered by the end of June (end of 2024 for dogs under 1 year old) then you can keep it.

A grace period whilst the current generation die out but it's now a banned breed going forward.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
That will only be one of your kids though, since it must be kept muzzled and on a lead when outside the home.

- or their granny :sad:

icowden

Veteran
That will only be one of your kids though, since it must be kept muzzled and on a lead when outside the home.
...and of course, all owners are going to stick to those rules.

On my local Facebook group someone has already posted asking if there are any private dogwalking areas where their XL Bully can run off lead...

Top Bottom