Very fussy about my new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

brand

Sorry 57 memory is getting terrible!

Sorry 57 memory is getting terrible!
I don't think age has anything to do with it. Health yes, but age no and I am not healthy by anyone's standard trust me.
You will be fine with 17 rear and either 36 or 38 teeth front. I'm a severe asthmatic (as well as being partially paralysed and with something called Addison's disease (not to mention a few other major medical conditions)) and in my 40's. I can cycle up +10% hills with more weight on my bike than I can lift on that combination. I average less than 10mph on tour but we do have a tendency to go off road which does slow you down considerably.

sight-pin

Veteran
Well I'm only a new with bikes, and you did say "bombproof". that bike does look strong to me. I was just trying to be helpful after all.
You didn't mention anything about price and your specification seemed very high so i thought maybe price is not an issue....sorry you feel like that.

Well I'm only a new with bikes, and you did say "bombproof". that bike does look strong to me. I was just trying to be helpful after all.
You didn't mention anything about price and your specification seemed very high so i thought maybe price is not an issue....sorry you feel like that.

I think it was more the point the bikes you linked where not for touring, didn't have hub gears, no mud guards or pannier racks, other than that you where pretty much spot on. :tongue:

Don't worry about it:thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

brand

Not serious satnav. I am sure your right about combination. I was just being a tight arse Thorn say it will last longer with a 19. I am a great believer in investing to save. In fact that is one of the reasons I want a Thorn and a Rolhoff.

Not serious satnav. I am sure your right about combination. I was just being a tight arse Thorn say it will last longer with a 19. I am a great believer in investing to save. In fact that is one of the reasons I want a Thorn and a Rolhoff.
the 17/38 combination only lasted 15,000km on the same chain (and at fully laden world touring) before needing replacing... :biggrin:
19 must be a newer combination they have introduced since we set out. I have yet to wear out the replacements we purchased so have not looked back into it!

OP
OP
B

brand

the 17/38 combination only lasted 15,000km on the same chain (and at fully laden world touring) before needing replacing... :biggrin:
19 must be a newer combination they have introduced since we set out. I have yet to wear out the replacements we purchased so have not looked back into it!
Tell me when you replaced the combination (chain included?)what exactly was knackered? Also someone was telling me the Rolhoff they have has done 12,000 miles and the chain needs replacing because using some measuring device the chain is 75% stretched??

We had to replace the chain, rear sprocket & front chainring at 15,000km on my bike, the chain was OK to carry on using, but the rear sprocket was getting very spikey to say the least and the front chainring was not that much better. With the eccentric bottom bracket, we had already removed 2 pairs of links from the chain due to chain stretch, so replaced the whole lot whilst we had the opportunity. It would probably have gone another couple of thousand km's but we were heading into Turkey and then onto Iran, Turkmenistan, and onto the northern silk road so decided to fit new at that point and carry new rather than end up putting the spares on before we had even left Turkey, but I really don't think we would have gotten much more than 17,000km out of it at all! Bear in mind that we did a lot of off-road on dusty & sandy tracks and all of it was fully laden. I would expect to get more in the UK staying on road with the bike less well laden.

Top Bottom