Vuelta 2014, **el sp-olé-rs**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobNewcastle

Awesome ride by Movistar. Surprised Sky were that far behind and that's a pretty disappointing start but I guess the main thing is nobody crashed! You could tell Froome was disappointed because results like that eat into potential gains in the TT. Can't imagine Quintana would've thought he'd have almost a 30 second advantage but a very long way to go.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I didn't see the stage on TV but saw a report that said Sky only had the bare 5 in a group at the finish. Anyone know who got dropped?

tigger

Über Member
I didn't see the stage on TV but saw a report that said Sky only had the bare 5 in a group at the finish. Anyone know who got dropped?

Cataldo, Knees Siutsou and Rowe were dropped Rich. I didn't see the stage so don't know if that was the plan? Given the result it can't have gone to plan I suppose

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cataldo, Knees Siutsou and Rowe were dropped Rich. I didn't see the stage so don't know if that was the plan? Given the result it can't have gone to plan I suppose
True, it may have been a plan or it could be an early sign of weakness - time will tell I guess.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Cataldo is a former Italian national time trial champion and Siutsou is a powerhouse so something's wrong if they dropped out because they couldn't handle the pace...

Bouhanni by a street - relatively easy anyway

It was a faultless lead-out by the FDJ lads...before the crucial turns they were already in a great position which they held. Fantastic stuff.

nacer-bouhanni-011.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It was a faultless lead-out by the FDJ lads...before the crucial turns they were already in a great position which they held. Fantastic stuff.

nacer-bouhanni-011.jpg
It was a bit odd I thought. Did you see that one of the dropped FDJ riders overtook the field to do the last lead-out stint, which indicates that the other teams weren't going at it full bore.

400bhp

Guru
Cataldo is a former Italian national time trial champion and Siutsou is a powerhouse so something's wrong if they dropped out because they couldn't handle the pace...

Yeahhbutt as soon as they join "The Dark Side" all thought of personal domestic achievements go out of the window and they simply have to do the best job as part of the domestique.

It was a bit odd I thought. Did you see that one of the dropped FDJ riders overtook the field to do the last lead-out stint, which indicates that the other teams weren't going at it full bore.

I didn't notice that no.

I remember before that turn there was a lone FDJ rider a few yards out in front...it looked as if he was trying to bring the rest of the lead out up to him whilst the other teams were jostling for position, but from that point on there were only 3 of them including Bouhanni. Cannondale seemed to have serious intentions just before they reached the last 1km too.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry

I spotted that whilst watching the highlights, Soupe appeared at the front just after the last lead-out rider dropped off.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I spotted that whilst watching the highlights, Soupe appeared at the front just after the last lead-out rider dropped off.

And was credited by Bouhanni for the last leadout.

Have to say I didn't think FDJ would get it together, but their leadout train was spot on, while Giant's ... wasn't.

The Couch

Über Member
... but their leadout train was spot on, while Giant's ... wasn't.
Spot on, is probably a bit too optimistic
The last guy before Bouhanni came too early to the front and had to slow down the pace a bit, Bouhanni was a bit lucky Soupe went to the front just in time before the other guy dropped off. Still... it was better than the rest :thumbsup:

Nice placing of Stuyven (not even a sprinter) to have picked up Bouhanni's wheel and hung on to it till the sprint started.

Betancur already looking as lively as he did in last year's Vuelta. The Sporza (belgian sport channel) commentators called him actually "the fatty" :eek::biggrin::B) when they saw him arriving about a minute after the peloton.
Weird guy that... such potential but so irregular (he could potentially be worse than Thomas De Gendt, since Betancur's climbing potential is much higher)

The Couch

Über Member
Van Rensburg again in the attack (as he was yesterday)... unfortunately there is a Spanish rider from Caja Rural in the escape as well, so chances are small he'll get anything for it (like a combative rider bonus)

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
... Still... it was better than the rest :thumbsup:

Everything's relative.

Van Rensburg again in the attack (as he was yesterday)... unfortunately there is a Spanish rider from Caja Rural in the escape as well, so chances are small he'll get anything for it (like a combative rider bonus)

Came close to picking van Rensburg for my fantasy team, sort of wish I had now.

Top Bottom