Well known/famous things, buildings or places you have been associated with.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Some interesting tales and momentous happenings!
Mine are nowhere near as flash, but I hate to be left out.
Mr6 was responsible for a great deal of the lead flashing on rooftops around Manchester city centre. I can point them out from the train, but I have no idea what buildings are under the roofs.
The placenta from my third birth was used in some very important research. The assured me it was important, I got confused by the long words in the report and took their word for it.
I was involved in the original launch of www.netmums.com and was the first editor for the northcumbria regional section.
Me and Mr6 have a lot in common.
He put the lead on some famous buildings in Manchester.
Loads of us scoucers followed him around....nicking the lead after he left :smile:

Good news... there are some up for sale on ebay.com
Bad news....none of them have any bids :smile:

I have one already (saved by my mum ...the photo).

Enjoy your bargain bid.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My dad used to be the production manager at Palitoy and was part of the team that bought the UK rights to GI Joe and called it Action Man here.

I was also on the box cover of a toy that was a total failure ...

4307037125_6ab754a28b_b.jpg

"Just like the hovercars of tomorrow". So what happened? :whistle:

Proto

Legendary Member
Ha, I'd forgotten about Fred! The Rolls was the first car I ever drove on the road, I was only about 13 or 14.

The Rolls was a Mulliner Park Ward Drop Head Coupe Silver Cloud MkIII, 'Chinese Eye' model. Very rare,only a few built, most were the very similar Bentley Continental version. It was the same as this one:
f1813b975a59bf4ebad4ba6815035f06.jpg

Proto

Legendary Member
I went to Culham once, but wasn't allowed near the interesting stuff.

I got to know some of the engineers quite well and managed to get a tour from one of them. I got to stand next to it, (up a ladder to a mezzanine floor along side the top of it), it was surprisingly small, but the most amazing structure I've seen. Cables everywhere, thousands and thousands of them. Everything, and I mean everything, near it had to be non-magnetic. Even the tools and workbench were all mode from stainless or Inconel. It was being 'cleaned' when I went, so a guy in a protection suit was walking round inside it doing things.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I started a joke that went national in Spain, does that count? Told the joke in 1982 to about 500 of my students when I was an English teacher and they all roared with laughter at the unexpected linguistic neatness of the punch line. About 20 years later in a bar a Spaniard told me the same joke using the same words, unchanged, so I take credit for that one.

I started a joke that went national in Spain, does that count? Told the joke in 1982 to about 500 of my students when I was an English teacher and they all roared with laughter at the unexpected linguistic neatness of the punch line. About 20 years later in a bar a Spaniard told me the same joke using the same words, unchanged, so I take credit for that one.

... so ... what was it then?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
... so ... what was it then?

Yes, we are all waiting!! :hyper::popcorn::cuppa::hyper:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
My Aunt May was the first female editor of the Woman's section in the Glasgow Herald back in the '20s/30s, and wrote a column up until about 1962 under a false name (Jean Kelvin.... I think).

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
My Mum was a Primary School teacher, so my Mum and our family name is well known in certain areas.

Also, my Grandpa on my Dad's side was an English Teacher (later head of English) at Clydebank High up until the '60s, so not only do people know my Mum, lots of people of older generations remember my Grandpa, including the guy who runs my LBS, who was taught by him!

My Grandpa on my Mum's side was an accountant for the Co - Op in East Kilbride, so not quite the same somehow....

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
My name will also go down in local history as, being a member of my Local Curling Club, Dumbarton, we are the second oldest club in the world, formed in 1815, and, last year, we celebrated our 200th anniversary, so anyone looking at our history in the future will find my name along with the rest of the club.

Whether the club is still here in 200 years, who knows, but at least we have been recorded somewhere.....

Top Bottom