What are my chances ?? Tour de France - Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I plan to cycle in to a viewing point for stage 2 of Le Tour de France from the edge of Greater Manchester (via Uppermill probably).
I am also considering staying over in Settle for stage & cycling in for stage 1 (I think).
So my question is this.

Will I make it or would I be a fool for trying ??

Will I (& a couple of mates) be met with a total road block ??

Do any Yorkies out there have good advice ??

jay clock

Massive member
well I will be heading up there too, but from Winchester. Plan to arrive the day before (approx 4 days ride) then watch the first stage around Hetton (have a friend living 4 miles away), then cycle home in 4 days.

I think if you look closely at the route, you will have zero problem on a bike. They empty the course itself an hour or two ahead of time so as long as you avoid trying to do the route itself you should be fine

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For a spectacular view on stage 2, I would suggest that you ride to Denshaw, climb the A640 and turn left down the B6114. Cross over the M62 near Scammonden and descend past Ringstone Edge resrvoir. Get yourselves to the top of Ripponden Bank to watch the pro peloton climb a steep Yorkshire climb as if it were a motorway bridge!

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Oh, and in my experience, you will meet huge crowds so get there hours early to secure a good spot.
You don't have far to go Colin (profile).
Off top of your head - do you have a start time for the race & as a guestimate how long in advance would /I we need to 'hit the spot' (wherever we end up) given a 1 hour cycle to get to it ?
If you get my drift.
Was thinking of passing through Uppermill about 5.30 a.m & aiming to hit a viewing point an hour later.
Is this Ridiculous ??

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have a crackpot idea in mind about pitching up a small tent somewhere on the Holme Moss climb the night before. If it all comes together I will cycle there with gear and hopefully a few mates or my oldest son. I reckon a night with a small BBQ and some beer then up at dawn on the big day to prepare for the arrival of the circus. Sounds great in theory?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I plan to cycle in to a viewing point for stage 2 of Le Tour de France from the edge of Greater Manchester (via Uppermill probably).
I am also considering staying over in Settle for stage & cycling in for stage 1 (I think).

In terms of Stage 1 - I'm riding up there the night before and staying with my parents who are just past Settle. The roads will be busy but you should be able to get a bike through the quieter back roads without any real issues. It's the A65/A59/A684 and the roads around Harrogate/Leeds which will be mad.

@SteCenturion - if you're looking to book somewhere I'd get moving on it quick; most places are fully booked although those a bit off the route seem to have vacanies (according to the local grapevine!).

I have a crackpot idea in mind about pitching up a small tent somewhere on the Holme Moss climb the night before.

For stage 2 my club's putting a camper van up Holme Moss 2 weeks beforehand to guarantee a place. Otherwise it'll be full from several days before the event.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
For stage 2 my club's putting a camper van up Holme Moss 2 weeks beforehand to guarantee a place. Otherwise it'll be full from several days before the event.
Won't it get towed away (It bl**dy should!)? Anything dumped more than a day or two before is taking the p!ss IMO and smacks of Germans blocking sunbeds with towels before swanning off to breakfast!!!! :evil:

I've volunteered to do some marshalling...I'll let you know any details I get as soon as.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You don't have far to go Colin (profile).
No, I don't since the race passes within 300 metres of my house!

I have decided to watch it in the town centre so I can take photos here. I never thought that something like this could happen anywhere in the UK, but to be right in the middle of a lumpy Yorkshire TdF stage is amazing. I will try to persuade a couple of non-cyclist friends/family to join me so we can have multiple stills and video cameras in use. It would be a real shame not to come out of this with some spectacular pictures.

Off top of your head - do you have a start time for the race & as a guestimate how long in advance would /I we need to 'hit the spot' (wherever we end up) given a 1 hour cycle to get to it ?
If you get my drift.
Was thinking of passing through Uppermill about 5.30 a.m & aiming to hit a viewing point an hour later.
Is this Ridiculous ??
I would guess that they will pass through Hebden Bridge somewhere between 12:00 and 13:00 and be heading up Ripponden Bank about 40-45 minutes later. So, if you get up there before 07:00, you will have a long wait but at least should find a decent spot to stand.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Won't it get towed away (It bl**dy should!)? Anything dumped more than a day or two before is taking the p!ss IMO and smacks of Germans blocking sunbeds with towels before swanning off to breakfast!!!! :evil:

'dumped'? Nope - it'll be occupied and the 'resident' in it will be bribed with pizza and beer to stay there for 2 weeks! ^_^

Besides, the club has Brian Robinson as a member. It's him that's been a key part of getting the TDF to the UK and Holme Moss is his favourite climb. I think they'll let us have it there without any issues.

I have a crackpot idea in mind about pitching up a small tent somewhere on the Holme Moss climb the night before. If it all comes together I will cycle there with gear and hopefully a few mates or my oldest son. I reckon a night with a small BBQ and some beer then up at dawn on the big day to prepare for the arrival of the circus. Sounds great in theory?
+1 or Cragg Vale

Top Bottom