What are my chances ?? Tour de France - Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
No, I don't since the race passes within 300 metres of my house!

I have decided to watch it in the town centre so I can take photos here. I never thought that something like this could happen anywhere in the UK, but to be right in the middle of a lumpy Yorkshire TdF stage is amazing. I will try to persuade a couple of non-cyclist friends/family to join me so we can have multiple stills and video cameras in use. It would be a real shame not to come out of this with some spectacular pictures.

I would guess that they will pass through Hebden Bridge somewhere between 12:00 and 13:00 and be heading up Ripponden Bank about 40-45 minutes later. So, if you get up there before 07:00, you will have a long wait but at least should find a decent spot to stand.
Don't mind that at all - unique once in a lifetime stuff this.

Otherwise it'll be full from several days before the event.

Really? you think so? , I cycled up the Peyresourde in 2012 on the same day as the TdeF crossed for the first leg and there was still space for some tentage on the summit then, I know there isn't quite the same amount of space on Holme moss but..

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Really? you think so? , I cycled up the Peyresourde in 2012 on the same day as the TdeF crossed for the first leg and there was still space for some tentage on the summit then, I know there isn't quite the same amount of space on Holme moss but..
I reckon it could get damn busy on Holme Moss. Sure, there are some epic climbs on the continent but the French have plenty of sections to choose from. In the UK it comes down to 2 days and only 1(?) legendary climb and I think most of the UK cycling followers are going to want to be there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As I have mentioned before elsewhere, I went to watch the Kellogs' Tour go over Holme Moss about 20 years ago, even before pro cycling got popular in this country. I struggled to even get to Holme village, and looking from there, I could see a continuous string of spectators lining both sides of the road all the way to the summit!

I reckon it could get damn busy on Holme Moss. Sure, there are some epic climbs on the continent but the French have plenty of sections to choose from. In the UK it comes down to 2 days and only 1(?) legendary climb and I think most of the UK cycling followers are going to want to be there.

Agreed but I doubt many will actually camp out on it for days (not sure who the landowner is, or if the rozzers will allow it?) or the number of other nations that will turn up. Talking about the rozzers I think a greater concern will be how the event is policed and when they will close the road to foot and cycle traffic? Somehow I can't see them being as sensible as the French when it comes to cyclists (ie allowing cyclists on the route up until the caravan and even between caravan and race) or following the lanterne rouge.

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Agreed but I doubt many will actually camp out on it for days (not sure who the landowner is, or if the rozzers will allow it?) or the number of other nations that will turn up. Talking about the rozzers I think a greater concern will be how the event is policed and when they will close the road to foot and cycle traffic? Somehow I can't see them being as sensible as the French when it comes to cyclists (ie allowing cyclists on the route up until the caravan and even between caravan and race) or following the lanterne rouge.
I have a leaning towards agreeing with @ColinJ in as much as he lives on stage 2 route & has done it 2 decades back at a time & event not nearly as popular.
I think we might all underestimate the madness that is coming.
I write with little understanding of Yorkshire beyond Rugby Grounds & a very pretty young lady I once frequented.

I have a leaning towards agreeing with @ColinJ in as much as he lives on stage 2 route & has done it 2 decades back at a time & event not nearly as popular.
I think we might all underestimate the madness that is coming.
I write with little understanding of Yorkshire beyond Rugby Grounds & a very pretty young lady I once frequented.

Very possibly, it won't be the first time I have underestimated our (as a nation) love of "Queuing" :crazy:

We enquired about a camp site on Cragg Vale, but it is for campers only. I am sure we will find a field to put a tent up somewhere! We have a few months to plan it anyway!

ColinJ

I just saw an article saying that all police leave in North Yorkshire has been cancelled for that weekend! Given that they expect a couple of million people to turn out, that is probably a sensible precaution.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I just saw an article saying that all police leave in North Yorkshire has been cancelled for that weekend! Given that they expect a couple of million people to turn out, that is probably a sensible precaution.
Personally, I expect a blind eye to be turned to a bit of 'wild camping' providing behavioural standards are maintained.

Julia9054

Guru
No, I don't since the race passes within 300 metres of my house!.
Passes within 300 metres of my house too!
Still trying to decide what to do though.
Tried to watch the road race in London during the Olympics but being short, I didn't manage to see a damn thing! A very frustrating experience and I care a lot more about seeing the TdF!

ColinJ

Passes within 300 metres of my house too!
Still trying to decide what to do though.
Tried to watch the road race in London during the Olympics but being short, I didn't manage to see a damn thing! A very frustrating experience and I care a lot more about seeing the TdF!
Take a milk crate or similar object to stand on? :whistle:

Top Bottom