What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
I have watched the first few episodes of The Crown. I am enjoying it a lot. I had to Wiki a few of the Royals to help me follow along with it but I think that may help make it more interesting to me. Some of the old cars and airplanes are excellent. The camerawork looks very nice. I am not sure how accurate the story is but I read it is relatively accurate. The actors seem very convincing to me too. I feel sure I will watch it all this weekend.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The latest Vikings....oh yes...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Rillington Place (iPlayer)
New BBC drama starring Tim Roth as John Christie. Performances are excellent, and the production design has a sort of crepuscular, dank feel about it. Slow moving in the first episode, I think (although I kept getting interrupted while watching, so I have had to see it in bits). Worth sticking with though, at least at this point.

Arrow season 4
Reached the finale of this dependably entertaining series, and thought it rather good - a decent villain, some nice crossovers with the other DC properties (why did they cancel Constantine?) and a satisfying ending that, hopefully, sets up an equally good S5.

No Such Thing as the News (iPlayer)
Another series reaching its end, as the topical QI podcast spin off had an extra two episodes this season. For all its lack of budget, I really enjoy this - the last four are still on iPlayer, and are well worth catching.

gbb

Legendary Member
Expanse, Netflix series 1.
I read Leviathan Wakes (James Corey) while on holiday, just picked it up at the hotel and tried it...and loved it. Really got into it...excellent.

So I saw Expanse on Netflix and realised it's the same story, gotta watch that then. :okay:

But....what I quickly realised was when you read a book, YOU, without realising it, as an individual, create the picture or character that's put in front of you. At the very least, you fine tune it.
Watching the series has been a let down, I immediately found myself annoyed by the gung-ho style of acting, most of not all the characters didn't match the picture I'd already built in my mind.
I've stuck it out to episode 4 but no more. It's probably a good series, but I've ruined it by reading it beforehand.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
3%
An original series, produced by Netflix Brazil and set in a dystopian future. The 3% are those selected by a sort of combination Krypton Factor/Hunger Games ("The Process") to live in a utopian "Offshore" free of want. Nice world building, interesting characters (whose back stories are revealed as we move through the story) and a decent story so far.

No Such Thing as the News (iPlayer)
The second series of the topical spin off from the QI spin off podcast ends - the last four episodes are still on iPlayer at the time of writing. It's a very simple production, relying on the interest of the information it conveys, and the wit of the hosts, and I think it's really good. Catch it if you can.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Rillington Place (iPlayer)
New BBC drama starring Tim Roth as John Christie. Performances are excellent, and the production design has a sort of crepuscular, dank feel about it. Slow moving in the first episode, I think (although I kept getting interrupted while watching, so I have had to see it in bits). Worth sticking with though, at least at this point.

Just caught this on catch up, partly due to the rave reviews it's been getting everywhere. Without a doubt Tim Roth and Samantha Morton are two of the nation's finest actors but the pace is borderline glacial. Hopefully it's to build tension so I'll stick with it for now.

Our Guy in China and The Grand Tour - reliable entertainment that does exactly what it says on the tin and all the better for it.

Just watched the final episode of Westworld (for this series anyway, hopefully)
Excellent ending - as one would expect - got to be one of the best TV series ever made...

westworld-tile-a3576d50.jpg

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Our Guy in China and The Grand Tour - reliable entertainment that does exactly what it says on the tin and all the better for it.
I saw 'Our Guy in China' last night. He cycled over 340 miles across a desert on a single-speed bike (with a freewheel). Admittedly, he got off and pushed it up some 7% hills but he still did it in record time.
http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.u...el-4-tonight/story-29959016-detail/story.html

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Expanse, Netflix series 1.
I read Leviathan Wakes (James Corey) while on holiday, just picked it up at the hotel and tried it...and loved it. Really got into it...excellent.

So I saw Expanse on Netflix and realised it's the same story, gotta watch that then. :okay:

But....what I quickly realised was when you read a book, YOU, without realising it, as an individual, create the picture or character that's put in front of you. At the very least, you fine tune it.
Watching the series has been a let down, I immediately found myself annoyed by the gung-ho style of acting, most of not all the characters didn't match the picture I'd already built in my mind.
I've stuck it out to episode 4 but no more. It's probably a good series, but I've ruined it by reading it beforehand.
I stuck with it, the crew didnt match how the book portrayed them and I didnt like that but its not ruined it for me. There is less conflict in the book and even Amos has respect for Holden from the beginning even if he does know he can be idelistic and clueless. the only part I didnt really like is Avasaralas storyline but she is a great character in book two so I guess they felt they had to introduce her now, great actress though.

I totally get what you mean though, it did take me a while to like it on its own merits. My wife hadnt read the books couldnt understand why i was jumping up and down when they finally found the Roci, its like another character.

Just watched the final episode of Westworld (for this series anyway, hopefully)
Excellent ending - as one would expect - got to be one of the best TV series ever made...

View attachment 153565
Agreed, I watched the latest episode of walking dead and then Westworld, one left me bored, the other kept my attention all the way through, no prizes for guessing which one. Looks like we have to wait till 2018 now though! :sad:

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb
I stuck with it, the crew didnt match how the book portrayed them and I didnt like that but its not ruined it for me. There is less conflict in the book and even Amos has respect for Holden from the beginning even if he does know he can be idelistic and clueless. the only part I didnt really like is Avasaralas storyline but she is a great character in book two so I guess they felt they had to introduce her now, great actress though.

I totally get what you mean though, it did take me a while to like it on its own merits. My wife hadnt read the books couldnt understand why i was jumping up and down when they finally found the Roci, its like another character.

Agreed, I watched the latest episode of walking dead and then Westworld, one left me bored, the other kept my attention all the way through, no prizes for guessing which one. Looks like we have to wait till 2018 now though! :sad:
Still kind of like TWD though - its been a slow burner for years now and I'm getting a little board of the Negan character - someone would have bumped him off by now surely (ok, i appreciate the whole thing is unrealistic, but how is he still alive?)

D

Deleted member 23692

I must watched every episode of Westworld at least three times as it either makes me fall asleep or just rapidly lose interest.... especially when the utterly boring Hopkins appears. I've tried my damnedest to like it but to date I'm struggling.

I'll give it a binge watch over Xmas though. It might redeem itself

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Still kind of like TWD though - its been a slow burner for years now and I'm getting a little board of the Negan character - someone would have bumped him off by now surely (ok, i appreciate the whole thing is unrealistic, but how is he still alive?)
From what I recall, it's following the comic arc quite closely - this season is going to be quite grim as a result...

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
From what I recall, it's following the comic arc quite closely - this season is going to be quite grim as a result...

Correct! Or at least it is now, as it's been a bit wayward at times (he says vaguely recalling the story he read).

I really like the show, and I wonder if criticism of it stems from it not being a total gore fest like most zombie stuff. It's way deeper and thought provoking than I think it's given credit for.

Top Bottom