Whisky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 2199895, member: 259"]Whisky's a horrible drink to get bladdered on though - well, the drinking bit's OK, but the hangover is dreadful. Up there with Pernod. :ohmy:[/quote]

There was a time when I just didn't get hangovers, but these days I get one from just about anything, so there's no point worrying about it!

hoopdriver

Guru
Hmmm.....single malts......now where to start.......

Avoid Mackmyra, it gets a decent rating but its a real head shaker, bloody awful !

The same can be said for a few others with decent ratings, clearly good bribes were delivered with some samples ;-)

The 21 year Highland Park is especially nice, Lagavullin is one of my favourites and also try Glenfarcas 21......

I have over 40 single malts and have tried a lot but there are still so many to try and they are all so different.....
I very much like Lagavulin - probably my favourite.

I have done a lot of work in Antarctica and one of the great treats about being in a camp where glaciologists are working is having 21 year old whisky over 10,000 year old ice...

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 2199916, member: 259"]Is whisky with ice not still a hanging offence North of the border? :smile:[/quote]

Yes, but considering it is Antarctica, I think an exception can be made.... and make the offender freeze to death instead! :laugh:

Canrider

Guru
I have a soft spot for Highland Park. I had a dram to celebrate the completion of my LEJOG ride.
Try Scapa distillery's 16 year old, from the second-northernmost (c.200m south) distillery in Scotland. They don't market as heavily as HP do, so it's harder to find as most of it is used in blends (eg IIRC Ballantine's).

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Another vote for Highland Park here. I love the stuff. Also the Bowmore. A few drops of water really seem to release the flavours for me.

My sister gave me a bottle of Penderyn for my 40th birthday which is very nice indeed.

For routine/blended/mixing the Aldi highland black is rather tasty. I also really like http://www.isleofskyewhisky.com/ but it's hard to find in our southern supermarkets.

Glenfiddich invariably gives me an awful headache even after just one modest measure. I avoid it like the plague. Has anyone else found this with a particular brand of whisky ?

[QUOTE 2200249, member: 259"]Oi - this is the whisky thread! :thumbsup:[/quote]
I know (was born in Glasgow) but I cycled passed there last year and was tempted by the offer of free whiskey... their special 1608 is great... but not quite as nice as one of the specials we had from Highland Park when we drove passed there many years ago!

jayonabike