Who's bought an expensive bike on finance????

Have you taken finance to purchase your latest steed?

• Yes

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • Never

Votes: 55 52.4%
  • In the future ...

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Some people wouldn't think twice about buying a brand new or nearly new car for 12-15-18-30k+ on tick that depreciated the moment you leave the showroom. Then fill it up every week by the time my interest free (I know it not interest free!) bike is paid for they have stuck that much in fuel, tyres, servicing and wear and tear without deprecation and they mostly drive short distances! Yet according to some I must be mad to pay 2-4k for bike. Hmmm! Anyway that's how I feel about it.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
As a poor man. Yes... but only when its at 0% I dont mind them taking payments off me every month as im saving quite a bit of money not wasting it on public transport every month anyway.

What really pushed me into action though was the tube strikes down in london. With my Bicycle(s) I will never be held to ransom by TFL again.

vickster

Legendary Member
How was I supposed to know that...? Obviously an exception if you can't actually buy the bike you want!
But that's often the case with off the peg bikes. For instance, I would always have to change the saddle, probably the stem, the handlebar width and thus tape on a roadbike or the grips on a flat bar, likely the pedals if it comes with any in the first place, even the cranks potentially

I don't like Shimano brifters or rather my hand size and shape don't, which definitely limits my choice of roadbikes even further

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes, some years ago, but at 0% interest. The payments just got lost in amongst general monthly outgoings.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought a £1000 bike on credit 15 years ago it took me 2 years and about £1200 to pay it off. I still have the bike and it's been relatively problem free so i suppose i can't complain. I would get another on 0% finance in future if short of cash but at the moment i have enough saved for that "dream bike" when i find the right one(within reason).

Last edited:

BikeCurious

Über Member
I bought my current road bike on interest free credit from Evans in 2009. It was only £720 but at the time it was a lot of money for me. Makes sense to use interest free finance when available if the other option is a credit card you'd be paying interest on.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm often drooling over expensive bikes I can't afford.

Has anyone bought an expensive bike (£1000, £2K, £3K ++) on finance to get there dream ride.

Afford is an interesting word.

Like @Drago and @Garry A , I only buy things I can pay for. However, If I can also get it at 0% interest, I'll do so and did for my road bike. I only use credit when I don't need it. By strange coincidence, the banks only
lend when I don't need it.

I suspect you are talking about using credit to buy things you can't afford - I would strongly recommend that you do not do this.

Interesting thread this.... As Giant currently have a 2 yr 0% deal which means I could have a DEFY 0 for £34 a month easily affordable... but Mrs V has made it clear my life wouldn't be worth living.... besides I have a 2013 (?) DEFY 2 and I'm currently saving up for next years purchase (which may be Carbon) ... which has been pre-approved as long as its cash (debit card) although she did ask what I would be doing with my current bike :rolleyes:

We do have credit cards but use them for un-avoidable large expenses (and then normally moved to 0% deals) and luxury items never fall into this category....

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just make sure it's fully insured, be worse having to finish paying for something you no longer have! Bikes are pretty unique as thief magnets
Indeed , guy at work had his C2W bike stolen and he had to pay for it , he was gutted as his wife had forgot to renew the contents insurance on their house ..........

cyberknight

It was a £300 ish bike, still a pita .
2 of my bikes have been c2w , its the only way i was allowed by the boss aka the wife to have a nice bike , i do get bike envy on club runs but i know its my lack of saddle time that is my downfall rather than how shiny their gear is , although as mines aluminum i know its a harsh ride over bad raods as i shake all over the place. The in thing atm seems to be the giant propel`s .

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I bought my hoy on credit at evanscycles. Now i look back at it. I paid far too much for it. It was going for almost 700 with nee tyres and saddle bought that totaled to almost under £800

It was a £300 ish bike, still a pita .
2 of my bikes have been c2w , its the only way i was allowed by the boss aka the wife to have a nice bike , i do get bike envy on club runs but i know its my lack of saddle time that is my downfall rather than how shiny their gear is , although as mines aluminum i know its a harsh ride over bad raods as i shake all over the place. The in thing atm seems to be the giant propel`s .

A propel is what I'm thinking of.... total overkill for me commuting and days off ambling .... funny though Mrs V thinks it will be about £600 ish.... don't know how she got that idea

cyberknight

A propel is what I'm thinking of.... total overkill for me commuting and days off ambling .... funny though Mrs V thinks it will be about £600 ish.... don't know how she got that idea
I wonder :smile:
TBH with the upgrades i have done to the boardman its coming in around 8 kg now so its not worth getting a new bike , i would like to change the shifters at some point .
Since stock .
mavic cxp 22wheelset 2200g to superstar wheelset around 1500g
alloy seatpost to carbon seatpost
alloy stem spaces to carbon spacers
alloy stem to carbon stem
stock saddle to fizik saddle
long cage wifli mech to short cage

I would like to change to apex shifters but not sure whether to upgrade them to sram again or pimp out to 10 speed 105 .

In 2 years im 50 so i might push for a new bike then :whistle:

Top Bottom