Winter Cycling..........how do you keep warm ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have to get new overshoes. Last winter, and the one before, my feet were warm due to my overshoes. The zip has died, they were cheapies so new ones it is. I need merino wool socks too. I'm at Go Outdoors on Thursday so I shall go shopping.

I would definitely look at cycling boots. I have Diadora Chili boots, as mentioned earler. I've had them on for a few rides now and they are much warmer than my regular MTB shoes.
I have Sealskinz gloves, they are really warm. I have Damart thermal, long sleeved, base layers. Very warm. I wear the Damart, a regular base layer then my cycling shirt and my NightVision jacket (not best warm but the 2 base layers make up for that).

I wear 2 Buffs. One made into a hat, for under my helmet and a fleece buff for around my neck. This seems to work well. I prefer the 2 buffs to wearing one like a balaclava. A personal thing, I know.

I used to have a fleecy bodywarmer/gilet thing. Sadly it doesn't seem to have made the house move. I cannot find it anywhere. I need a new one. It's lightweight but warm and great on really cold days for under the NightVision.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My winter kit.
1 Btwin head band / earwarmers.
2 Freebie beanie thing round my mouth (Sucking in cold air hurts my chest)
3. Thick gloves
4. Overshoes (forgot on Sunday, ouch!)
5. Thick cheepo Aldi Cycling jacket, thick, warm, not waterproof.
6. Btwin leggings, nothing thick
7. Arm warmers (optional)

Underneath
Bib tights
Normal summer jersey
Normal socks

Easy peasy

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I also suffer from Reynauds.

For this morning's commute I had on two pairs of socks, one of which were Endura Thermolite ones, then big winter boots with a fleece lining. Thick leggings, 3 layers then a jumper then a gilet and one pair of gloves, and two buffs. In my bag I also had a down gilet which I ended up wearing on the way home when I felt colder even though it was now 8 deg warmer but no sun. Also wearing leg warmers.

I find that I need to keep my body and then wrists and ankles warm to keep the circulation going. Hence why I pack the gilet as a just in case I need it. Once or twice a year it gets so cold I end up cycling in a down jacket.... But that's saved for when it's cold and biting winds.

albion

Guru
I was a dry weathercyclist and no way would I want to go back to using my sealskin socks.
I recall cleats froze my feet but lightweight waterproof walking shoes and boots were near always snug. As is the thick softshell, for mid November+

I also have overshoes for when there is a rain risk, the bib style soft shell leg suit coming into use there.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Russian-style" fleecy hat, goggles, long scarf (can pile up around ears when needed), shirt, jumper, two-part fleece-lined walking coat, mitts in sealskinz mittens, thermal tights, warm trousers, thermal socks and military boots. However, I'm not wearing all of this yet because it's not cold enough! The fleecy hat, fleecy inner part of the coat and the boots have not had a trip out.

If cold feet are a problem, Merino wool socks are a first step. Wear one or 2 pairs. Thin/thick combo wolks well. Make sure your footwear is not mesh and has sufficient wiggle room.
You can only have one base layer. Anything worn between base and shell is midlayer. You can use almost any insulated top, I used to use old woolly jumpers. Thin fleece layers are also good. Don't forget to wear a higher neck in winter, and a neck zip is useful for venting. A buff or headover is useful for sealing the neck opening.
Shells should be as breathable as possible and still windproof.

I have Northwave Artic boots, fantastic pieces of kit. I can get away with normal cycling socks usually, our for really cold Baa-baa merino socks.
Sportful no-rain bibs, merino long sleeved base layer, with a sportful fiandre no- rain jersey over that. Carry a gilet in myy back pocket for extra wind protection . Silk liner gloves from mountain warehouse, with DHB winter gloves on top.....
......and a one of them ghey buffs.
Its all about the layers.

Katherine

Guru
You're nearly there and have the right idea about lots of layers. So the same goes for your feet. You don't say say what shoes you are wearing but make sure you don't wear shoes with fabric panels and vents. You want leather shoes if possible. If you can afford it, then invest in some winter cycling boots. Also overshoes help to insulate and keep out the wind.

Another tip for keeping feet warm ( which I had to remind myself yesterday) is to change down into a lower gear and use a higher cadence as that gets the legs going which helps to warm the feet.

I have Northwave Artic boots

I've never needed to get winter cycling shoes/boots as here in Norway it's TOO COLD for it to be any fun. However, I may get a pair for the odd day when it creeps over zero degrees.

Would you recommend getting a size too large, thus enabling a comfortable wiggle of the toes and better circulation, and keeping the dreaded 'cold foot' at bay?

I've never needed to get winter cycling shoes/boots as here in Norway it's TOO COLD for it to be any fun. However, I may get a pair for the odd day when it creeps over zero degrees.

Would you recommend getting a size too large, thus enabling a comfortable wiggle of the toes and better circulation, and keeping the dreaded 'cold foot' at bay?

I went for my actual size and they were fine, although I don't wear very bulky socks with them.

jags

Guru
For cold feet wrap them in tinfoil ./socks /overshoes waterproof.
wind off your chest newspaper under your jersey.
long finger gloves .
good scull cap that fits over your ears will sort your head out.

vickster

Legendary Member
Now why didn't I think of that. :smile:
It was rather warm riding in Cambodia last Thursday, I was roasting in a t shirt, cycling shorts with shorts over the top. My feet swelled up like mad too
Then again, it was over 30 degrees at 9am :ohmy: luckily most of the 3 hour ride was at a leisurely pace in the shade!

I reckon somewhere like the canaries would provide a happy medium!

Top Bottom