Winter Cycling..........how do you keep warm ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

They're bib tights which are wind proof. Some bib tights are, some aren't. Much like you can buy gloves, windproof gloves and waterproof gloves. You just need to buy the correct type. Mine have a windproof area around the groin.

gasinayr

Über Member
just found this
.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/cycle-shirt/

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Sunday-
TT skin suit,
Berghaus base layer long sleeve,
Winter Aldi top,
Aldi leg warmers,
Two pairs of socks,
Old pair of work socks with hole for cleats over the shoes,
Head scarf under helmet,
Muddy fox cheapo full gloves,

Was ok. Worst problem was the runny nose, watery eyes and dribbling mouth.
Kudos to Steve Abraham.

biking_fox

Guru
Mostly I just spin faster (which isn't so easy on the SS). Reducing wind chill by cycling slower makes a significant difference hence you'll want to be in a lot lower gear. Other than that I find my Proviz jacket plenty warm enough with no more than long sleeve T underneath. Ensure your gloves have long wrists a seal them over the jacket sleeves. On really extreme days I add a buff under the helmet and I think I've worn a thin fleece top as well once in 10 years.

As all the advice above layering is key. I have a thin Beanie/for my head and ears when it is really cold and I was more than warm enough in that even when I was caught out in Snow.

I have also found that nappy bags or dog poo bags (un-used) between sock and shoe also really help and are not too bulky.

I will try the tin foil trick but I suppose proper winter boots are the way to go ultimately.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I use those little hand and foot warmers that you can get from outdoor shops. The foot ones keep the chill off the toes for a couple of hours. The hand ones require quite baggy gloves.

On a long ride I just resign myself to losing all feeling in my feet.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I have the same problem with my upper body being fine, legs OK, and feet frozen on long winter rides. Thermal socks don't really make much difference for me, but I'm very tempted to try some overshoes and see if that fixes it.

Silk is your friend...used to use it all the time when I was jumping out of planes for fun. Set of silk pyjamas as a base layer is very very effective. Pair of silk glove liners and Altura Nightvisions has seen my hands toasty after a couple of hours sub-zero. I've known skydivers swear by silk stockings but maybe that was some other motivation! :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thermal socks don't really make much difference for me, but I'm very tempted to try some overshoes and see if that fixes it.
There's thermal and there's thermal... the socks I was wearing today are really at their limit at 4 degrees +wet +windy, but I've some thicker ones which are good for a few more degrees, then a liner pair will take them below zero if needed. As I thought someone had already posted but I can't find, you don't usually want them tight or squished into tight shoes - thermal socks often need to trap air to work well.

classic33

Leg End Member
The situation....................
This is my first year for winter cycling (I want to keep cycle-fit over winter).
I have always suffered bad circulation as I have Reynauds.
As an 'old fart' I feel the cold even more.
Today I did an 18 miler and wore.............
  • 3 base layers plus a wind-proof top..........body was warm :smile:
  • long johns plus running leggings........legs were OKish
  • Ordinary socks............feet were blocks of ice :sad:..........will try thermal socks next time
  • Thermal skull cap............OKish.......will try a snood next time
  • Wind-proof gloves.........hands were like toast :smile:
So.....................
3 base layers seems extreme.............what is the alternative ?
Are thermal socks the answer to VERY cold feet.
Is a snood the answer to a cold neck & face ?
Why so much?
T-Shirt, sweatshirt, trousers, two pairs of socks and a pair of gloves. The same as worn in summer.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Why so much?
T-Shirt, sweatshirt, trousers, two pairs of socks and a pair of gloves. The same as worn in summer.
That wouldn't keep me warm in the summer. As I said I suffer from bad circulation (Raynauds) and they are what I have to wear in order to keep warm................I certainly don't wear them as a fashion statement. :smile:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Wind proof gloves ?..which ones Dave ?. I never found good ones yet but never had any specific wind proof ones.
I hate winter with a vengeance, my hands and feet get so cold i could cry when the hots strike post ride. Diadora Chili boots and thermal socks have helped me no end...but if anyone gets them, get at least two sizes bigger than normal.
Mine are called Treckmates...............I actually bought them for walking in the Lakes but found them good for cycling.

Top Bottom