Winter Cycling..........how do you keep warm ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
So............bearing all the advice in mind but realising we are all so different..........I started my shopping today.
I bought
a lightweight neoprene balaclava.
a mid-layer ski top (from Decathlon)...........looks the part, is thicker/warmer.......so should eliminate 1 layer.
Re' over-shoes. There are some decent ones @£25.00 while Decathlon have some cheapos @ £10.00. I suppose you do to some extent get what you pay for.........will cogitate and buy some in the next few days.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
As it gets cold the order goes:

14 deg and up - ss jersey and bibshorts
10-14 - ls base with ss jersey and bibshorts
6-10 - ss base with Castelli trasperante and sportful noRain bibtights
4-6 - ls base with Castelli trasperante and sportful noRain bibtights
Up to 4 - yet to tackle but probably same as above but with waterproof left on aswell

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've tried a few things to keep my feet warm, none of which worked.

My latest purchase is looking more promising - winter walking boots from Mountain Warehouse.

No good if you ride clipless, but I like the walking tread because my standing foot is less likely to slip if I need to stop the bike on a muddy path.

I tried the boots at the weekend on a cold, wet, ride.

My feet were certainly far warmer than with all the other footwear/sock combinations I've tried.

Waterproof, too, - maybe not for submersion, but enough for road riding in the rain with mudguards.

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/fo...-winter-trekker-boot-p11674.aspx?cl=DARK GREY

So............bearing all the advice in mind but realising we are all so different..........I started my shopping today.
I bought
a lightweight neoprene balaclava.
a mid-layer ski top (from Decathlon)...........looks the part, is thicker/warmer.......so should eliminate 1 layer.
Re' over-shoes. There are some decent ones @£25.00 while Decathlon have some cheapos @ £10.00. I suppose you do to some extent get what you pay for.........will cogitate and buy some in the next few days.

I use the Planet X winter overshoes, a little sweaty but perfectly fine. Had some other ones before that which were ok but tore a bit easily for my liking.

mustang1

Legendary Member
When you stop, you'll feel colder. So keep going.

The weak point of any 'waterproof' overshoes or boots, especially in prolonged rain, is around the leg. Eventually water moves down into the shoe - but at least the feet don't need to be cold, if well insulated.

The weak point of any 'waterproof' overshoes or boots, especially in prolonged rain, is around the leg. Eventually water moves down into the shoe - but at least the feet don't need to be cold, if well insulated.
Overshoes have this problem, proper boots, not so much.

Siclo

Veteran

Dry suit ankle seals are one solution, another is longs that will fasten over the top of the boot / overshoe. Endura do a few like this, their waterproof stealth-lite longs with @Racing roadkill 's defroster boots is a fantastic combination

Wightdragon

The situation....................
This is my first year for winter cycling (I want to keep cycle-fit over winter).
I have always suffered bad circulation as I have Reynauds.
As an 'old fart' I feel the cold even more.
Today I did an 18 miler and wore.............
  • 3 base layers plus a wind-proof top..........body was warm :smile:
  • long johns plus running leggings........legs were OKish
  • Ordinary socks............feet were blocks of ice :sad:..........will try thermal socks next time
  • Thermal skull cap............OKish.......will try a snood next time
  • Wind-proof gloves.........hands were like toast :smile:
So.....................
3 base layers seems extreme.............what is the alternative ?
Are thermal socks the answer to VERY cold feet.
Is a snood the answer to a cold neck & face ?
Long sleeved t shirt!

Top Bottom