Winter Cycling..........how do you keep warm ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
As above, Merino socks are superb. I bought a pair of Northwave Celcius boots and they're much better than shoes + overshoes. If you can't stretch to a Belgian winter cap (I have a Vulpine one, Prendas do one which is cheaper), cover the ears with a buff/winter collar/snood and a cap over that.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
^^^ Northwave goretex boots for me too.

As well as the kit have a massive bowl of porridge and a brew just before you leave home.

The Rover

Guru
Yesterday's ride.
Kask protone lid
Rapha winter cap
Castelli neck warmer thingy
Castelli mortirolo jacket
Endura baa baa base layer
Castelli sorpasso wind stopper bibs
Woolie bollie socks
Northwave artic celcuis boots
Seal skin gloves.

Nice and toasty!

gbb

Legendary Member
The situation....................
This is my first year for winter cycling (I want to keep cycle-fit over winter).
I have always suffered bad circulation as I have Reynauds.
As an 'old fart' I feel the cold even more.
Today I did an 18 miler and wore.............
  • 3 base layers plus a wind-proof top..........body was warm :smile:
  • long johns plus running leggings........legs were OKish
  • Ordinary socks............feet were blocks of ice :sad:..........will try thermal socks next time
  • Thermal skull cap............OKish.......will try a snood next time
  • Wind-proof gloves.........hands were like toast :smile:
So.....................
3 base layers seems extreme.............what is the alternative ?
Are thermal socks the answer to VERY cold feet.
Is a snood the answer to a cold neck & face ?
Wind proof gloves ?..which ones Dave ?. I never found good ones yet but never had any specific wind proof ones.
I hate winter with a vengeance, my hands and feet get so cold i could cry when the hots strike post ride. Diadora Chili boots and thermal socks have helped me no end...but if anyone gets them, get at least two sizes bigger than normal.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
if your only going to buy one bit of winter kit buy a buff. Very versatile ,can be worn just round the neck , pulled up over mouth and nose or stretched into a full balaclava . f it gets warm on your ride it only takes seconds to take it off.

keep an eye on cycle plus and other magazines as they sometimes give them away as free gifts attached to the magazine at this time of year.

My layering depends on what intensity and/or the weather outlook
Last weekend wasn't too intense but it started off -2deg, finished +5deg so I went for these layers:
A thin but long sleeve merino base layer,
Bamboo socks,
Rapha pad less bib longs,
summer 3/4 shorts underneath,
Dhb overshoes,
Rapha cap,
a Rapha pro team softshell,
a Rapha waterproof gilet,
and endura waterproof gloves
I thought I'd take the gilet and cap off at some point but I resisted the temptation to up the intensity.

I have thicker and windproof base layers, winter running gloves (worn under the endura gloves) and thicker jackets and bib longs and will wear them depending on conditions.

On the commute I'm usually Aldi man, their stuff is toasty IME.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Ordinary socks............feet were blocks of ice :sad:..........will try thermal socks next time
As shoes are quite expensive, and to save space at home, I bought my shoes correctly sized for thick socks, and just put up with the extra warmth in summer.

Also, many shoes have ventilation or mesh panels, so you may still get an unwelcome cold draught even with thick socks. In that case you need waterproof socks, or some other membrane that is windproof.

Tin Pot

Guru
Feet and hands are sorted, as are neck and ears.

I can get a jacket for the torso.

...But what about the under carriage?

My ultimate freezing cold socks are Norwegian mil surplus army socks.

Lonestar

Veteran
I cycle faster than normal.Fine on the late after midnight commute although it was warmer than usual.I forgot one of my layers on the ride in so only had one layer but although it rained I was fine.

I bought these

image.jpeg

No more cold feet. They do a trail version as well as these road versions.

BEHMOTH66

yesterday at -2°C Addidas trainers, thermal socks, karrimoor running pants, addidas football shorts(I also don't want my nuts on show) thermal long sleeve top (workwear free from work) Altura Night Vision waterproof top seal skin winter gloves and a helmet, bit cold for the first mile and then was sweating when I got in work 4 miles later.

I would also say if wearing glasses and a snood it doesn't work instant condensation. but when it gets a bit colder will dig my snood out stops the draughts

gasinayr

Über Member
For really cold runs i use a Buffalo shirt as used by most of the mountain rescue teams these days, equivelant to five layers of clothing, windproof and waterproof. only need a base layer below it. They do a cycle version as well. For really wet days I also use walking gaiters to keep my feet and lower legs dry.

Top Bottom