£ per mile for your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In summary, as a cyclist, you want to power yourself with animals that don't eat grass for the most minimal impact, chickens and pigs are good, Coows and sheeples are bad.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
In summary, as a cyclist, you want to power yourself with animals that don't eat grass for the most minimal impact, chickens and pigs are good, Coows and sheeples are bad.
So a full English is spot on providing I take my tea black?

tyred

Legendary Member
I find the cost of cycling is directly proportional to the number of pubs and cafes that I will be passing on my route.

I seem to recall that Albert Einstein devised some formulae for calculating this.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Oh and that refreshing beer after the ride......

300g CO2e: locally brewed cask ale at the pub
500g CO2e: local bottled beer from a shop or foreign beer in a pub
900g CO2e: bottled beer from the shop, extensively transported

So as an ale drinker, that entitles me to have 3 pints of proper beer instead of only one bottle of fizzy lager! :angel:
That must also be the first time I've ever found myself agreeing with anything in The Grauniad!

presta

Guru
I don't eat any more to cycle to work than I do to drive or get the bus.
You must be, otherwise you'd lose weight.
I haven't taken into account maintenance, shoes, gloves, lights etc either because the criterion set by the OP was simply bike cost ÷ miles travelled.
That might be his criterion, but it's not a sensible basis for a realistic comparison of the costs.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You must be, otherwise you'd lose weight.

I'm not eating any differently. My breakfasts are routinely predictable, as are my lunches and dinners, and they do not vary by transport method.

That might be his criterion, but it's not a sensible basis for a realistic comparison of the costs.

It's just a bit of fun, not a science thesis.

presta

Guru
I'm not eating any differently. My breakfasts are routinely predictable, as are my lunches and dinners, and they do not vary by transport method.
This is just the converse of the fat people who insist they don't eat too much, none of us are exempt from the laws of thermodynamics. Cycling typically burns about 300-400 kcal/her, the calorific value of body fat is 7800kcal/kg, so you can expect to lose around a kilogram of fat for every 20 hours or so of cycling unless you're replacing the energy you use. If you were commuting cycle-bus-cycle-bus alternately, then you could eat the same each day and be depleting your energy reserves on cycle days, whilst replenishing them on bus days, but this doesn't mean you're getting something for nothing, you're still eating more than you would if you were on the bus every day.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This is just the converse of the fat people who insist they don't eat too much, none of us are exempt from the laws of thermodynamics. Cycling typically burns about 300-400 kcal/her, the calorific value of body fat is 7800kcal/kg, so you can expect to lose around a kilogram of fat for every 20 hours or so of cycling unless you're replacing the energy you use. If you were commuting cycle-bus-cycle-bus alternately, then you could eat the same each day and be depleting your energy reserves on cycle days, whilst replenishing them on bus days, but this doesn't mean you're getting something for nothing, you're still eating more than you would if you were on the bus every day.

What extra food am I eating when I'm cycling to work?

presta

Guru
What do you expect me to say to a question like that?
Cycling burns more energy than sitting on a bus, that energy has to come from somewhere. Either you're depleting your fat reserves, or you're eating more to replace what you've used. This is not controversial, it's the most basic physics: energy doesn't just come from nowhere. What makes you think you're not eating more, most people don't have any idea whatsoever how many calories they're eating.

Reactions: C R

All uphill

Still rolling along
If I ignore the cost of tools, respray, replacement parts, waterproof clothing and coffee my cycling is almost free!

If I include those costs it's just inexpensive.

If I take into account mental and physical health benefits it's the bargain of the century.

Top Bottom