£ per mile for your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Not including all the coffee and cake costs, my bikes are as follows:

Planet X roadie. Cost £1019.00 27.1p per mile
Planet X CX cost £590 is at 9p per mile
DB Cycles (Dronfield) £150at 16.6p per mile - only goes out in the dry
29er £120 at £2.14 as I haven’t ridden it much.
Croix de Fer was £981.10 after discount so now at £1.08 a mile

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
That's exactly what he's claiming. He keeps telling me he needs no extra food when he cycles.

Where does he say that? He simply states (presumably truthfully) that he doesn't eat any more on the days that he cycles.

He makes no claim, as far as I can see, about the amount of energy expended being the same, only that his food intake doesn't vary.

You yourself acknowledged that he would simply end up a bit more depleted on a cycling day if he ate the same, and he hasn't denied that.

classic33

Leg End Member
What do you expect me to say to a question like that?
Cycling burns more energy than sitting on a bus, that energy has to come from somewhere. Either you're depleting your fat reserves, or you're eating more to replace what you've used. This is not controversial, it's the most basic physics: energy doesn't just come from nowhere. What makes you think you're not eating more, most people don't have any idea whatsoever how many calories they're eating.
I ate less when cycling to/from work than when I was using bus, train and a short walk to complete the same trip(home to work).

Other meals stayed the same, aside from times. Trains never always showed up/left at the same time.

It was original outlay versus miles done that was put in the opening post. Not much else.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Look, to my statement that "I don't eat any more to cycle to work than I do to drive or get the bus" your answer was
You must be, otherwise you'd lose weight.

You don't know my eating routine, and believe me it is very routine, so you're not in a position to state I'm eating differently. I know that energy is not free and will come from what calories I've taken in, you seem to think I'm saying that's not true.

If you think you can cycle without using any energy, why don't you publish your evidence on here.

I've never said that!

That's exactly what he's claiming. He keeps telling me he needs no extra food when he cycles.

I've never said that either!

Either you're depleting your fat reserves, or...

Bingo!

I keep telling you my food intake doesn't vary by transport. What's happening is my food intake is not being reduced on those days where I don't cycle, so I'm overeating on car/public transport days. This explains why I am overweight and, over the past 5+ months of not cycling, I have put on even more weight. You've focused on the calorie intake/output element whereas I've been emphasising my unchanged (unhealthy) eating habits.

I'll admit that your initial "You must be" niggled me because it felt like you were calling me a liar. I apologise for carrying on such a petty argument with you just to prove a point, I was being a grumpy dick and should know better. And I'm sorry to the OP for dragging his thread down too.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A heavier person burns more calories just existing. If in some quantum fluke you got the bus everyday and also cycled every day. The one on the bus would increase in weight till they reached an equilibrium. The one cycling would decrease in weight till they reached an equilibrium. They would both be eating the same.

You would be in a quantum state of being thin and fat at the same time.

Top Bottom