£1 shop innertube = ruined tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lux1

Regular
I fitted a very cheap innertube in desperation before a ride yesterday. I was very careful to ensure no pinching of the tube and correct seating. However, no sooner than it had been inflated to 80psi the tube exploded with a six inch gash, blowing the sidewall of the tyre out and seperating the steel bead from the sidewall. This could have been dangerous at speed.

Brand new tyre too, so I'm down £40 due to a £1 innertube. :sad:

Tyres don't do that unless they have been weakened beforehand. The innertube may well have been crap, but that is probably not why the tyre split...

young Ed

Veteran
:sad: i feel for you but 80 psi :ohmy: my new tubes say 15 and that is fine for average riding riding
Cheers Ed
you are lucky it could have easily been :B)

young Ed

Veteran
but yeah 15psi :becool: maybe 20 max
Cheers Ed

sidevalve

Über Member
Odd, After all it isn't the tube that holds the pressure, all it does is contain the air, the tyre holds the pressure.
I've seen a loy of blown inner tubes from pin pricks to ragged shreds and never seen one damage the tyre [on it's own].

young Ed

Veteran
agreed
anything wrong with rims?
Cheers Ed
P.S just be happy it wasn't on a 20 run to work with snow on the ground :P or on a many 1000's of mile european tour
just thinking aloud

young Ed

Veteran
Not sure what you're talking about. Why inflate a tube to 15psi?
but i put 15 psi of air in my tubes in my tyre on my rim and i have ridden prob atleast 25 or so miles on it now
Cheers Ed
is it a miracle can i now be a saint
saint Ed he put just 15psi in his tubes and rode 30 miles! :ohmy:

Top Bottom