£1 shop innertube = ruined tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
falcon-trailfinder.jpg

Cheers Ed

but i put 15 psi of air in my tubes in my tyre on my rim and i have ridden prob atleast 5 or so miles on it now
Cheers Ed
is it a miracle can i now be a saint
saint Ed he put just 15psi in his tubes and rode 30 miles! :O

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about....

young Ed

Veteran
i speak english whats the problem this isnt the chinese cycle chat is it
why are you questioning me putting 15psi in like im a nutter
Cheers Ed

Last edited:
Why are you questioning me putting 15 psi in like I'm a nutter
Yound Ed, calm down and have a look on the side walls of your tyres. There you will find all the information you desire, such as tyre size, 26 x 1.75 for example, and also recommended tyre pressures, minimum and maximum.

The minimum will certainly be greater than 15 psi. You don't have to inflate to the maximum, but riding with pressures to low is both inefficient and can be the cause of unnecessary pinch flats.

Last piece of advice, (it's free you know), buy a track pump with a gauge, and check your tyre pressures at least weekly.

Ride safe.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
15psi is not far off normal atmospheric pressure - in other words, there is no differential pressure in the tyre at all. Can we see a pic of you riding it?

In this context 15psi on a guage means over and above atmospheric pressure - ie 30 really
... that said, it is indeed too low - well not just too low but 15psi is basically a flat tyre

Something between 60 and 120 depending on the tyre would be more like it.

.. Which is why everyone's comments were "as if I'm a nutter" as the bemused earlier poster said.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
@Lux1 I agree with Dusty Bin that it's more likely the tyre failed, causing the burst than the burst caused the tyre to fail. Either way I'm glad it didn't happen while you were riding it.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
There's a few things here. Firstly, a dodgy inner tube wouldn't wreck the tyre.
Secondly, @young Ed 15psi is ludicrous. If you really have got that in your tyres then you're riding on the rim. My old kit car needed more pressure than that, and that was 6 inch wide tyres, four of them, holding up something weighing half a ton. You should be on about 75psi or so - it'll tell you on the side wall, but it sure as hell isn't 15 psi.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I fitted a very cheap innertube in desperation before a ride yesterday. I was very careful to ensure no pinching of the tube and correct seating. However, no sooner than it had been inflated to 80psi the tube exploded with a six inch gash, blowing the sidewall of the tyre out and seperating the steel bead from the sidewall. This could have been dangerous at speed.

Brand new tyre too, so I'm down £40 due to a £1 innertube. :sad:

Return the tyre as faulty, the sidewall has failed. Once the hole appears in the sidewall, the inner tube instantly forces itself out of the hole and bursts spectacularly because it no longer has the tyre constricting its high pressure. I had a similar failure on a new tyre and it was replaced without quibble.

GC

vickster

Legendary Member
Was the OP replacing the tube due a puncture that occurred with the (nearly) new tyre or was the tube fitted at the same time as the brand new never fitted tyre?
If the latter, why not just get a proper tube with the new tyre. If the former, maybe the tyre was damaged by whatever caused the puncture? The use of the word desperation suggests the tube was being used as he discovered a puncture at home that had occurred with the new tyre?
I is confused :biggrin:

Linford

but yeah 15psi :becool: maybe 20 max
Cheers Ed

If you have only put 15psi in your tyre, then you could squash the tyre to the rim with your thumb very easily. As the others have said, your posts make no sense at all.

I pumped my 700c 23 tyres back up to 120psi this morning from about 60 which is there they fall to after about 3 weeks of non use...which was the last time I rode it.

Top Bottom