£1 shop innertube = ruined tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

15psi is not far off normal atmospheric pressure - in other words, there is no differential pressure in the tyre at all. Can we see a pic of you riding it?

Wheelbarrows run about 15 psi :smile:

U

User6179

I fitted a very cheap innertube in desperation before a ride yesterday. I was very careful to ensure no pinching of the tube and correct seating. However, no sooner than it had been inflated to 80psi the tube exploded with a six inch gash, blowing the sidewall of the tyre out and seperating the steel bead from the sidewall. This could have been dangerous at speed.

Brand new tyre too, so I'm down £40 due to a £1 innertube. :sad:

Sounds more like defective tyre with wire bead exposed caused the tube to blow !?

Linford

15psi is not far off normal atmospheric pressure - in other words, there is no differential pressure in the tyre at all. Can we see a pic of you riding it?

flat-tire-397x400.jpg

OP
OP
Lux1

Lux1

Regular
Thanks for all the replies, I think in retrospect I can't really blame the tube, like another poster said, - there had to be another underlying cause.

I'll just suffer the loss, going back to the LBS and explaining I've fitted a £1 innertube won't get me anywhere.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks for all the replies, I think in retrospect I can't really blame the tube, like another poster said, - there had to be another underlying cause.

I'll just suffer the loss, going back to the LBS and explaining I've fitted a £1 innertube won't get me anywhere.
I'd take it back to show them as you've said it was brand new. Unless there are signs of the tyre having been cut by a foreign object it sounds like a manufacturing defect which should be under warranty. I think the cheap inner tube is irrelevant in this case.

They can only say no.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

This is silly imo, I've used £1 inner tubes with no ill effects to the tyres, not only, my lbs had for sale the very same make of inner tubes you can buy from the pound shop.

Top Bottom